Easter Jewel Cookies just to have an excuse to buy my annual bag of Cadbury mini eggs, it still really didn't hit me that Easter had arrived until it was Good Friday. But I was working that day so it wasn't until Saturday that I finally paid some attention to the fact that the next day was Easter Sunday.
Cookie Butter Brown Sugar Cookies and the Triple Chocolate Chip Cookies. To provide a variety, I also made Paradise Chocolate Cookies (post coming later) and these Lemon Glazed Cookies. My lemon tree is still running amok with lemons and I also still had lemons I'd picked earlier from both my tree and my mom's tree. They would soon be in danger of drying out in my fridge so I ended up zesting and juicing all of them, saving the juice for future use and using up a good portion of zest in the cookie dough.
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup granulated sugar
3 tablespoons lemon zest
1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup powdered sugar
4-5 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- Whisk together flour, baking powder and salt; set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine granulated sugar and lemon zest. Rub the sugar and lemon zest together with your fingers until fragrant.
- Cream the butter and lemon-sugar mixture together until light and fluffy. Add egg and vanilla extract. Mix until smooth. Slow add in flour mixture on low speed until combined.
- Form into golf-ball size dough balls and chill until firm, several hours or overnight.
- When ready to bake, preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Space cookie dough balls evenly on baking sheets. Bake for 10-12 minutes or until cookies are just set and barely golden brown around the edges. Cool on baking sheet for 1 minute then transfer to cooling racks to cool completely.
- Glaze: In a small bowl, whisk together powdered sugar and lemon juice. Dip each cookie top into the lemon glaze. Let icing set.