Thursday, April 10, 2014

Brown Sugar Butterscotch Cookies

Brown Sugar Butterscotch Cookies - made dough March 29, 2014 from Two Peas and Their Pod
I don't bake with butterscotch very often as it can sometimes be too sweet for me, depending on what I bake it in. But every once in awhile, I'll try something with it. It pairs especially well with banana and with brown sugar so this cookie recipe caught my eye as a viable candidate. I've also been busy enough lately that my time to bake has been more limited than usual. When that's the case, cookies are my fallback position. It takes me 10-15 minutes to make the cookie dough and portion them into dough balls to put in the freezer then when I have another 15 minutes on a different day, it's easy to bake off a sheet.
Plus, truthfully, I almost always freeze cookie dough before baking it, no matter what the directions say. Something I often forget to mention when I'm blogging a new cookie recipe. Oftentimes, I'll copy and paste the original recipe as is from wherever I got it and 95% of the time, the standard cookie recipe has you preheating the oven, mixing the cookie dough and baking the cookies right away. 95% of the time, I actually don't do that. I make the dough, portion it, freeze it and bake the cookies from frozen dough. It keeps them thicker and there's nothing more convenient than baking pre-homemade dough whenever you have time and need fresh cookies. So I did modify the directions for these to incorporate the freeze-before-you-bake part.
Mine didn't come out as thick as the ones pictured from Two Peas and Their Pod, probably because I underbaked them and they sank as they cooled. That's a good thing because these came out chewy and moist. I only used a scant cup of butterscotch chips because I really didn't want these to be too sweet with too many butterscotch chips. But they were just fine. The brown sugar flavor went very well with the butterscotch and this was a nice little cookie.
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon cornstarch
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
3/4 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
1 1/4 cups dark brown sugar
1 large egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup butterscotch chips
  1. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, cornstarch, salt and cinnamon. Set aside.
  2. Place the butter and dark brown sugar in the bowl of an electric stand mixer. Beat on medium speed until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Scrape down the sides of the bowl with a spatula. Add the egg and vanilla. Beat on medium speed until combined.
  3. With the mixer on low, slowly add the dry ingredients. Mix until just combined. Stir in the butterscotch chips.
  4. Form dough into tablespoon or golf-size balls. Place in refrigerator or freezer until thoroughly chilled, at least 1 hour or more.
  5. When ready to bake, preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper and place cookie dough balls evenly on sheet. Bake cookies for 10-12 minutes or until lightly browned around the edges. Do not overbake. Cool on the pan for 2 minutes then transfer to wire rack to cool completely.

No comments:

Post a Comment