6 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
1 1/4 cups sour cream
2 large eggs
zest of 1 large lemon, finely grated
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice (about 2 lemons)
1 1/4 teaspoon lemon extract
2-4 drops yellow food coloring, optional (I didn't use any)
1/4 cup sugar, for topping
1 tablespoon butter, melted, for topping
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line muffin tin with liners or lightly grease.
- Sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Mix together lemon juice and lemon extract in measuring cup.
- In bowl of stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream together butter, sugar and sour cream until smooth. Add eggs, one at a time, beating after each addition until incorporated. Add lemon zest and yellow food coloring, if using, and mix.
- Alternate flour and lemon juice mixtures in thirds, beginning and ending with flour. Mix just until combined.
- Spoon batter into muffin tins, filling each about 3/4 full. Bake for 20-25 minutes until tops are lightly browned and a toothpick inserted in the center of the muffins comes out clean.
- Allow to cool in muffin tin on a wire rack for 5 minutes. Remove from tin and allow to cool until just warm.
- Melt 1 tablespoon of butter and brush on top of each muffin. Place 1/4 cup granulated sugar in a small bowl and roll each muffin top in sugar.