Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Buttermilk Pancakes

Buttermilk Pancakes - made sometime in October 2012 from Chef in Training

I have such a backlog of posts, this one got buried.  I made this a few weeks ago on one of those days when I came home from work, didn't feel like eating anything I had in the fridge and decided breakfast sounded good for dinner.  Make sure you click on the recipe title to see the original blog post from Chef in Training because the picture of her pancakes was what drew me in to try this recipe.  Mine didn't come out quite as picturesque, although really, it's hard to make bad pancakes.  The batter on this was quite liquidy so the pancakes came out soft.  Or I didn't cook them long enough.  They still tasted pretty good though.  I did skip the buttermilk syrup out of expediency and because I wanted to use the last of my maple syrup.  But maybe next time.

One of my favorite ornaments from last year - these pancakes have no calories
 And since I have the holidays on the brain, I will intersperse my posts with gift giving suggestions to go with the recipes because I love the holidays and I love food.  Most of the people I give gifts to typically have all the "stuff" they need so I try not to give non-consumables unless I know it's something they want, need and can really use.  Otherwise, it's foodstuffs.  I like putting together themed gifts of consumables.  For instance, for a pancake theme, buy a pancake mix, a bottle of maple syrup, and a pancake turner.  You can package up your gift in a basket or gift bag, tied with a pancake ornament like this one and/or do a bunch of creative add-ons: a gift card to IHOP or a local pancake place, locally made jams or jellies (farmers' markets are great sources for these), include a pancake cookbook or print out your favorite pancake recipes onto cute recipe cards. 

Strawberry Waffle ornament
 With some creative substitutions, you can also put together the same kind of gift with a waffle theme and up the ante by including a waffle maker if your recipient doesn't already have one.

2 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons sugar
2 eggs
3 cups buttermilk
4 tablespoons melted butter

Sift flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and sugar.  Add eggs, buttermilk and melted butter.  Stir with a fork until just combined.  Cook in a greased skillet or pan until bubbles form on one side then flip over and cook all the way through.  Serve warm.

BUTTERMILK SYRUP
1/2 cup butter
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup buttermilk
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon vanilla

Combine butter, sugar and buttermilk in a medium saucepan.  Cook on medium heat until dissolved then add baking soda and vanilla.  Stir until smooth and use immediately.

1 comment:

  1. Creative and delicious. Great job sharing this recipe. I will try this soon, after I'm finished with this recipe called salmon pancakes with caviar.

    ReplyDelete