Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Red Velvet Chocolate Chip Cookies

Red Velvet Chocolate Chip Cookies - made dough October 28, 2012 from Baking Serendipity

I've had good success with red velvet cookie recipes (sometimes more so than with red velvet cake recipes) and I'm doing experimental, preliminary baking before my holiday baking season kicks into full gear so this was a perfect recipe to try from Baking Serendipity.  Red Velvet Anything is always a color-appropriate dessert offering for Christmas and Valentine's Day.  Like I always do, I make the dough before I need it, scoop into dough balls and freeze them in ziploc freezer bags until I need to bake them.  That's one of the best time-saving tips I can give anyone who does a lot of baking for the holidays or at any other time.  I will actually be stocking my freezer very shortly in the coming weeks as I have dessert for a couple dozen people to prepare and that's just for Thanksgiving.  After that, the real baking begins in earnest (as I try not to freak out with all that's ahead).

Chocolate Chip Cookie ornament
But, back to this cookie.  This is one of the few cookies where I would advocate it's better to eat at room temperature or just only very slightly lukewarm.  It's fudgy and if you eat it when it's too warm, it'll be more liquid fudge than fudgy cookies.  I know some of you will wonder "what's wrong with that?"  Nothing but I prefer a dense fudgy cookie when I make cookies :).  And wonder of wonders, even my not-really-into-sweets-or-chocolate parents liked this cookie!  Normally I don't make them chocolate stuff but I had overdone the baking and giving away part and when I was seeing them a couple of Sundays ago, I only had 4 of these cookie dough balls left so I baked them for their weekly goodie bag.  And they liked them.  Wow.

1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon red food coloring
1 1/2 cups flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup cocoa powder
1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
  1. Cream butter and sugars. Add egg and vanilla, mixing well. Beat in food coloring.
  2. Stir in flour, baking soda, salt and cocoa powder until just combined. Fold in chocolate chips.
  3. Drop by rounded teaspoon onto an ungreased cookie sheet and bake in a preheated 375 degree oven for 10-12 minutes. Let cool slightly before transferring to wire racks.
  Chef In Training Inside BruCrew Life

1 comment:

  1. I think these sound great!!! I do happen to prefer a molten chocolate cookie fresh from the oven:-)

    ReplyDelete