Sunday, January 22, 2023

Weeknight Orzo Paella from The Kitchn

Weeknight Orzo Paella - made January 3, 2023, modified from The Kitchn
1 tablespoon olive oil
8 ounces cooked hot or sweet Italian chicken sausage, cut into 1/4"-thick rounds
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 1/2 cups (10 ounces) dried orzo pasta
2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
1 14.5-ounce can diced tomatoes
1 teaspoon smoked paprika
3/4 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided
8 ounces uncooked peeled and deveined shrimp, thawed if frozen (I used chicken)
1/2 cup frozen peas (I left them out)
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley leaves (I used dried oregano)
  1. Heat oil in a 9 or 10-inch straight-sided skilled over medium heat until shimmering. Add the sausage and cook, stirring occasionally, until evenly browned on both sides, 3 to 4 minutes total. Stir in garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds more.
  2. Add the orzo and cook, stirring occasionally, until lightly toasted, 2 to 3 minutes. Add the broth, tomatoes and their juices, paprika, 1/2 teaspoon of the salt and 1/4 teaspoon of the pepper. Stir to combine and bring to a boil.
  3. Cover, reduce heat to maintain a simmer and cook, undisturbed, until the orzo is almost al dente, the liquid has reduced by about half and there is tight, rapid bubbling, 7 to 9 minutes.
  4. Meanwhile, pat the shrimp dry with paper towels and season with remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.
  5. Scatter the shrimp and peas (if using) over the orzo, cover and cook until the shrimp are pink and opaque, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and let rest, covered, for 5 minutes. Top with parsley and serve warm.
Orzo is fast becoming my go-to carb for quick and easy meals. They're much easier to cook than rice, they look like rice and they taste like a great combination of rice and pasta. I gave away my rice cooker when I moved so when I have rice or something rice-like, it's either instant rice (my Filipino ancestors are rolling in their graves and doing backflips while scolding me with their eyes and pursed lips - I'm not kidding) or orzo.
This is a super easy recipe to make, albeit you can tell I took liberties as I omitted the peas (I despise peas) and didn't have parsley so I used dried thyme instead. I had also run out of shrimp because I used them for another dish so I subbed chunks of chicken breast instead.

I enjoy making these easy (and tasty) recipes, partly because they're so easy but also because it helps me use the spices in my spice drawer. And it makes me feel like I can cook, ha.

No comments:

Post a Comment