Wednesday, January 11, 2023

Crumbl Copycat Cinnamon Fry Bread from Lifestyle of a Foodie

Crumbl Copycat Cinnamon Fry Bread - made dough December 28, 2022 from Lifestyle of a Foodie 
1 stick unsalted butter, softened
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 large egg, room temperature
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
3 tablespoons sweetened condensed milk

Cinnamon buttercream, optional
4 tablespoons butter
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
  1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Line baking sheets with parchment paper.
  2. In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream together butter, granulated sugar and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Add egg and vanilla extract and mix to combine.
  3. In a separate bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, cream of tartar, salt and cinnamon. Add to butter mixture and mix on low speed until just combined.
  4. Portion into 8 equal-sized dough balls and flatten each ball slightly to thick discs, at least 2/3-inch thick. Evenly space on baking sheets, leaving cookies 2 inches apart.
  5. Drizzle each cookie disc with about 1/2 to 1 teaspoon sweetened condensed milk. Bake for 15 minutes. Remove from oven and let rest on baking sheets until lukewarm. Remove to wire cooling rack to cool completely before frosting.
  6. Make the buttercream: cream butter, sugar, vanilla extract and cinnamon until smooth and fluffy. Top each cooled cookie with about 1/2 to 1 tablespoon of cinnamon buttercream.
I didn't quite make this exactly like a Crumbl copycat as you know I'm not about the frosting and this is supposed to have a dollop of it. But I was intrigued by the idea of drizzling sweetened condensed milk over a cookie and wanted to see what that would add.
As you can tell by the picture above, I didn't drizzle so much as "envelope" the cookie dough balls. That was on purpose as I really did want to see how they'd turn out. During baking, it turns out the baked sweetened condensed milk obligingly did envelope the cookie, even down to the edges of the bottoms.
Which made removing them from the baking sheet a bit sticky-tricky but hence why I always use parchment paper. Don't try this at home without parchment paper. Not unless you want to be scrubbing your baking pans after.
The cookies might look more underdone than they actually are but you can see from the bottom of the cookie below that they're not. It's the sweetened condensed milk baked on top that gives them that appearance.
Taste-wise, I thought this was good. I liked the texture. The baked sweetened condensed milk over the top of the cookie makes it more chewy, not crisp, which isn't surprising. It's like a dense sugar cookie but not as sweet as one. The cinnamon isn't as pronounced but was still present. Not sure this will stand out later to me as more than a dense, chewy cookie but I liked it at the time. Oh, and in fairness, I can't say I've had fry bread before so I can't evaluate this well in terms of having the cookie version of it.


2 comments:

  1. Ooh this is my absolute favorite cookie from Crumbl! Yours look delicious, even without the frosting dollop. I have never had fry bread either (didn't even know what it was before I tried the cookie version haha), but if it's as delicious as this cookie, I'm interested in trying it someday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too - I want to try real cinnamon fry bread (I never knew that was a thing) and the Crumbl original.

      Delete