Sunday, September 11, 2022

Stamped Cookies #23 - Susan's Favorite Recipe

Stamped Cookies #23 Susan's Favorite Recipe - made dough August 30, 2022 from Susan Moniz (Molded Cookies of the World Facebook page) 
2 ½ cups flour (15.1oz/428 grams) - I weighed the flour for greater accuracy. 428 grams on my food scale is ~3 1/4 cups, not 2 1/2
½ teaspoon salt 
¾ cup (1 ½ sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature 
1 cup sugar, minus 1 ¾ tablespoons (6.8oz/198 grams) 
1 egg 
1 ½ teaspoon vanilla extract 
  1. Beat the butter on med-high speed until creamy. Scrape down sides of bowl when needed. Reduce speed and slowly add sugar. Return to med-high speed and beat until creamy (note: mixture lightens when creamed). 
  2. Reduce speed to medium and add the egg and vanilla. Mix until well incorporated. Scrape down sides of bowl when needed. 
  3. In a separate bowl combine the flour and salt together with a whisk or fork. Reduce the speed to low and add half of the flour and salt mixture. When almost fully incorporated, add the remaining flour and salt mixture and mix until dough starts pulling away from sides of the bowl. Dough should not feel sticky--more like a Play-Doh texture. If dough is sticky, add more flour 1 teaspoon at a time till desired texture is achieved. Too much flour can cause cookies to crack, so check often to prevent over drying.
  4. Divide dough into 2 portions. Form each into disk shape and wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours or freeze for later use. (If frozen, best when used within 6 months.) Bake cookies at 350˚F on parchment paper until lightly browned on edges. Turn cookie sheet about halfway through baking time. Times vary according to size and thickness of cookie (between 10 and 17 minutes).
I don’t normally post anything on 9/11 of any year as it isn’t “just another day”. But I thought it would be fitting to post this today in visual support of our troops (through cookies) and commemorate those who’ve made and continue to make the sacrifices they make so I could have the privilege to make this post and bake the cookies shown from the safety and security of my home. 

This is another recipe I got from the files in the Molded Cookies of the World Facebook group and this might be the best one yet in terms of keeping the stamped impressions, having a chewy but soft texture and tasting good. It was a great recipe to test out my new Marine Corps stamp from Kitchen Vixen as well.
After so many stamping attempts (at least 23 according to my tracking), it's nothing short of thrilling. Plus I've finally unpacked all my stamps and have them organized so I can see what I have. The one pictured above is from Kitchen Vixen and the one below is part of the citrus set from Nordic Ware. I love them all.


I love even more that the impressions held up so well in baking, even the finer details like the lettering and stars. I'm getting better with practice so my stamping is also more consistent.

The dough handled well but was a bit dry. I weighed everything so I know I got the dry ingredients right. But my egg, supposedly "large" was a trifle small so I don't think it added enough liquid. So I ended up more than doubling the amount of vanilla extract just to get more liquid into the dough. It worked beautifully, not only to get the right consistency but added flavor to the cookies.
Another option is to add more egg white. Susan Moniz, the original author of the recipe, suggests using powdered whole eggs for the most consistent results. With a little experience, you'll be able to tell from the feel of the dough what adjustments you need to make. You want the dough pliable but not too soft and not sticky. 
This came together well enough that I didn't even need to refrigerate it before I stamped it. Instead, I stamped and cut out the cookies right after mixing, covered them and chilled them before baking. And voila, look at the results. I'm thrilled, I tell you, thrilled.

I almost need not reiterate these tasted good as well and wasn't too hard or crisp to eat. Definitely use fresh butter as that flavor will absolutely come through.


No comments:

Post a Comment