Wednesday, July 20, 2022

Red Velvet Oreo Cookies from Baking with Blondie

Red Velvet Oreo Cookies - made dough July 2, 2022 from Baking with Blondie

1 cup unsalted butter, cold and cubed
1 cup brown sugar, packed
1/4 cup granulated sugar
2 eggs, cold
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup cocoa powder
2 teaspoons red gel color
3 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon cornstarch
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup white chocolate chips
1/2 cup mini milk chocolate chips
1 cup Oreo crumbles
  1. Preheat oven to 410 degrees. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper; set aside.
  2. In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, whip the butter for 1 minute until it's light and fluffy. Add granulated sugar and brown sugar and cream together for 3 minutes on high speed.
  3. Scrape down sides of bowl to keep mixture even textured. Add eggs, one at a time, then vanilla, mixing well after each addition.
  4. Add cocoa powder and red gel coloring, mixing well. Add flour, cornstarch, baking soda and salt, mixing on low speed until just combined. Do not overmix.
  5. Reserve a few handfuls of the chocolate chips and Oreo crumbles. Fold in the remaining into the cookie dough. Portion dough into 8 baseball-sized balls. Place 4 dough balls on each baking sheet and press the reserved chips and Oreo crumbles over each dough ball.
  6. Bake for 9-10 minutes. Remove from oven and let rest on baking sheet for 5 minutes before transferring to wire rack to cool completely.
Hey, look, a cookie recipe that has nothing to do with Crumbl or any of its copycats. I know I've been a little obsessed focused on Crumbl lately, like no other cookies exist in the world.
I'm happy to say not only do other non-Crumbl-based cookies exist, but some of them are - dare I say it - even better than Crumbl's? Hear me out. Or rather, test these out. 
I came across Baking with Blondie's blog via pinterest - where else? Namely the sight of these Red Velvet Oreo cookies lured me in. The original post has them as big. Like, one batch only makes 8 cookies big. 
Since I was making them for military care packages, I went a bit smaller. They still baked up nice and thick though. The dough mixed up easily and was perfect for handling, not too soft or sticky, not dry or crumbly.

Make sure your butter is straight from the refrigerator, especially in this summer heat. Cut into tablespoons and cube for easier mixing. You don't want your butter to get too warm during mixing.
Also, I suggest using regular Oreos, not double stuff or mega stuffed. I'm a purist and prefer the very original Oreos before they jumped the shark and came out with a bazillion different renditions and flavors. In the case of cookie baking, too much filling in the Oreos can affect the appearance and texture of your cookies as they bake and spread out. In other words, messy, greasy, melted filling taking over your cookies, especially since these bake at high heat.
These don't spread much at all which is another reason why I love them. Plus look at the perfect texture of the inside. The flavor was also good. The white chocolate provides a nice sweetness to the red velvet (you know I'm not a big white chocolate fan) and the Oreos add a crunch to the texture. I'm so glad I discovered Baking with Blondie's blog as she's got other mega-sized cookie recipes I'll be trying out - stay tuned for the others.


2 comments:

  1. Ooh these look so good! I took a peek at her other cookie recipes, and I love how enormous they are. Definite Levain Bakery vibes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Although I might even like them than the Levain Bakery copycat recipes.

      Delete