Tuesday, May 4, 2021

White Chocolate Snickerdoodles

White Chocolate Snickerdoodles - made May 1, 2021, modified from Kroll's Korner
I was gearing up to do a massive baking day last weekend, with some baked goods earmarked for military care packages and the rest for the lunch bags distributed every Sunday in my area for the local hungry/housing-insecure population. I promised to do baking for the Sunday lunch bags at least once or twice a month. It's not only a chance to contribute to a good cause but lets me test out new recipes and distribute treats. That's also one of the benefits of volunteering for Soldiers Angels - to send out care packages - but it would be cost prohibitive to mail out everything I wanted to bake. So I was glad to find a local option for baked goods distribution.
So I made a bunch of cookie doughs ahead of time and baked them off at once last week. This is one of them. The original recipe called to make these as giant cookies but I modified the directions for normal size cookies. For what I need them for, "normal size" goes farther than giant-sized. 
I did make one test cookie as giant cookie though, weighing out 6 ounces of dough, freezing it then baking it separately. Just to test out what the original recipe is meant to be like. When making a cookie that big, be sure to double pan it when baking. This keeps the bottom from overbaking while the rest of the cookie bakes.

Since I was multiple-batch baking when I baked the test cookie, it turns out I baked the giant test cookie a bit too long. It wasn't overbaked but it also wasn't as underbaked as I normally prefer my cookies. 
The flavor on this was good but I have to admit, I'm still a purist when it comes to snickerdoodles and I think I'd prefer this without the white chocolate chips. Because this feels like a (good) white chocolate chip cookie rolled in cinnamon sugar rather than an actual snickerdoodle. But if that's your thing, then this is a good cookie option for you.
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup cake flour
1 teaspoon cornstarch
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup cold, unsalted butter, cubed
1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 large egg
1 large egg yokl
2 1/2 cups white chocolate chips

Topping
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
  1. In a large bowl, whisk together all-purpose flour, cake flour, cornstarch, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt; set aside.
  2. In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream butter until smooth and free of lumps. Add brown sugar and granulated sugar; beat until combined and fluffy.
  3. Add in egg, egg yolk and vanilla extract; beat to combine.
  4. Add dry ingredients in 3 additions, beating until just combined after each addition; do not overmix. Fold in chocolate chips.
  5. Portion into golf-ball-size dough balls, cover and chill or freeze for several hours or overnight.
  6. When ready to bake, preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line baking sheets with parchment paper.
  7. In a small bowl, combine topping ingredients. Roll the dough balls in the cinnamon-sugar mixture, coating completely. Evenly space on baking sheets and bake 10-11 minutes or until edges are set and middles no longer look raw. Let rest on baking sheets for several minutes then remove to wire rack to cool completely.

No comments:

Post a Comment