Friday, January 31, 2020

Graham Cracker Toffee Bars

Graham Cracker Toffee Bars - made January 30, 2020 from Tastes Better From Scratch
I have a bunch of other recipes to put up that I made before this but I'm leap frogging this to the front of the line because it's just that good and I want you to make it as soon as humanly possible. Actually, it's also because it's amazingly easy. Like, seriously amazingly easy.
I modified the original recipe slightly to make it even easier. I used chocolate chips which I already had in my pantry instead of running out to get Hershey bars. I also skipped the step of covering the newly baked bars with foil after placing the chocolate on top. Instead, once you take out the bars and turn your oven off, blanket the top of the bars with chocolate chips, put it back in the hot (but turned off) oven for 2-3 minutes (no longer!) then take out and the chips should be melted enough to spread easily.
Sprinkle the top with any garnishes like toffee bits while the chocolate is still melted so they'll adhere more easily. Then let cool and set. You'll want a sharp knife to cut these. The graham cracker layer is still crisp and makes for a nice base. I think that's also why I liked these so much. There's a nice texture contrast between the crisp graham crackers, the crunch of the toasted pecans and the richness of the chocolate.
I made these to put in the care package for a deployed military service member and they also turned out to be a good choice for mailing. The food vacuum sealer fit snugly around the bars which will also help them from getting crushed or broken and won't move around in the box during shipping. Last pic shows all the cookies and brownies/bars I made and vacuum sealed for shipping. I'm such a stickler for freshness that I don't think I'll ever mail non-vacuum-sealed baked goods again.
1 package honey graham crackers
14 ounces semisweet chocolate chips
1 cup butter
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup pecans, chopped and lightly toasted
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a 9 x 13" pan with foil and lightly spray with cooking spray.
  2. Place graham cracker sheets along the bottom of pan, covering completely.
  3. Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add brown sugar and bring to a full boil, stirring constantly. Add pecans and boil mixture for 5 minutes, stirring constantly.
  4. Remove from heat and pour mixture over graham crackers, spreading in an even layer.
  5. Bake for 7 minutes. Turn oven off and remove pan from heat. Sprinkle with chocolate chips, blanketing mixture completely; this is not the time to skimp. Put bars back in hot oven for 2-3 minutes, no longer.
  6. When chocolate begins to melt, remove from oven and spread melted chocolate evenly over top. Sprinkle with toffee bits or M&Ms if desired. Cool completely before cutting and serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment