Saturday, June 15, 2019

Snickerdoodles (no cream of tartar)

Snickerdoodles - made dough on June 1, 2019 from Stuck on Sweet
You're going to see some cookie recipes in the new few posts. I hadn't been baking that much lately since I'm working remotely these days and I don't really want to bring baked goods with me on the flight back to my office. Too difficult, especially with cookies, to keep intact.
But I was driving back to the Bay Area to attend my coworker's wedding and there would be a few other coworkers there so I used both as an excuse to try a few new recipes for cookie care packages.
My coworker, Eileen, whose wedding it was, ranks snickerdoodles as her favorite cookies. Whenever I want to try a new snickerdoodle recipe, I know I have at least one very willing taste tester. Since it was her wedding, I decided it'd be a good time to try another snickerdoodle recipe.
If you're a snickerdoodle purist, you might not consider this a "real" snickerdoodle since it doesn't contain cream of tartar, which is a hallmark of snickerdoodles, as is the cinnamon-sugar coating.
I'm not that snobby about snickerdoodles as long as they taste good, with cream of tartar or not. And these tasted good. They spread more than I would've like and some ran into each other since you know I have a tendency to make big cookie dough balls. Go big or don't bother baking them, I say.

Still, even though they didn't stay as thick as I would've liked, these had nice crisp edges and chewy middles. The flavor was also quite good. I would probably make them a little smaller than my usual norm so that they'd be a bit more normal-sized with their spread but all in all, a nice snickerdoodle recipe.

2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter
1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
1/4 cup dark brown sugar
2 large eggs
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

3 tablespoons granulated sugar
2 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
  1. In a bowl, mix together flour, baking powder, salt and 1 teaspoon cinnamon; set aside.
  2. In a mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream butter, granulated sugar and brown sugar. Add vanilla extract and eggs, one at a time, mixing briefly after each addition.
  3. With mixer on low speed, gradually add dry ingredients, scraping down sides of bowl as needed. Mix until just combined; do not overmix. Cover bowl and chill for 15 minutes.
  4. Portion into golf-ball-size dough balls, cover and refrigerate or freeze for several hours or overnight.
  5. When ready to bake, preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line baking sheets with parchment paper.
  6. Combine 3 tablespoons granulated sugar and 2 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon in a small bowl and roll dough balls, coating completely. Evenly space dough balls on prepared sheets. Bake 8-10 minutes or until edges are set and middles no longer look raw or shiny. Do not overbake. Remove from oven and let sit on baking sheet for 2-3 minutes then remove to wire rack to cool completely.

No comments:

Post a Comment