Monday, June 17, 2019

Gluten-free Pancakes

Gluten-free Pancakes - made June 4, 2019 from The Creative Recycler
Lots of pictures in this post because I made pancakes several different times from the same batch and kept taking pictures.

If you want to cut to the chase and make the best pancakes ever, much less the best gluten-free pancakes ever, just scroll all the way to the bottom and get to it.

Believe me, I didn't expect to type those words, especially when it comes to gluten-free anything. Not because I think there's anything bad or wrong with gluten-free but I haven't been baking or making anything gluten-free and don't have the experience to make the "best" anything gluten-free.

So I'm going to have to give full props to the recipe itself, not anything to do with my pancake making skills. When I made the batter, I was a little skeptical as it was pretty thin batter. So thin that, when I poured the batter into the heated frying pan, I was afraid it would make crepes, rather than pancakes.

I'm happy to be wrong. The pancakes are a little fragile during cooking so make sure you let the first side cook enough to be able to flip the pancake without it falling apart.

These were very tasty; so tasty that I didn't put that much syrup or butter on them. I didn't need to. They tasted great and, perhaps because they were gluten-free and not made with regular wheat flour, I didn't have that bloated, stuffed feeling after eating one. Okay, three. But still....
Happy to say I have a favorite new pancake recipe; bonus that it's gluten free.


1 1/4 cup gluten-free flour (with xanthan gum in the blend)
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 egg
1 cup buttermilk
3/4 cup milk
2 tablespoons melted butter
nonstick cooking spray
  1. Whisk together flour, sugar, salt, baking soda and baking powder in a mixing bowl.
  2. In a separate bowl, whisk together egg, buttermilk, milk and melted butter.
  3. Combine wet ingredients with dry ingredients and whisk to combine.
  4. Heat a griddle or pan over medium heat. Spray with nonstick cooking spray.
  5. Pour about 1/8 cup pancake batter onto heated griddle or pan. 
  6. When pancake bubbles begin to form and edges start to cook, gently flip over.
  7. Let the pancake cook another minute or two, until golden brown. Repeat with remaining batter Serve hot.

No comments:

Post a Comment