Sunday, June 23, 2019

Gluten-free Chocolate Chip Cookies #2

Gluten-free Chocolate Chip Cookies Experiment #2 - made dough June 4, 2019 from My Gluten-Free Kitchen
This is my second experiment with making gluten-free chocolate chip cookies. The first one turned out "okay" but still had the grit I hadn't yet learned to avoid.
This time around, I followed the tips and tricks to gluten-free baking by letting the dough chill in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours (more like 6 hours) and it probably helped that this had a little cream cheese to make a more smooth dough.


The tricks worked. This definitely had a better texture than the other recipe, no real grittiness in the mouthfeel. It still had a bit of a taste you don't normally get in non-gluten-free chocolate chip cookies but, to be honest, if I had to do a blind taste test, I'm not sure I could've picked these out as gluten free.

Additional plus is they didn't spread too much and remained a nice thickness that I prefer in my cookies. I gave these away in the cookie care packages I gave my friends at the wedding we all went to and I don't think any of them realized the cookies were gluten free.



2 1/4 cups (282 grams) all-purpose gluten-free flour blend with xanthan gum (if your flour blend doesn't have xanthan gum, add 1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum)
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
2 ounces cream cheese, softened
3/4 cup (12 tablespoons) unsalted butter, melted
1 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla  extract
2 egg yolks
2 cups chocolate chips
  1. In a medium bowl, whisk together gluten-free flour, xanthan gum if using, baking soda and salt; set aside.
  2. In the bowl of a stand mixer, combine cream cheese and melted butter. Add brown sugar and granulated sugar, mix on medium speed for 2 minutes with the paddle attachment.
  3. Add vanilla extract and egg yolks, one at a time, mixing on medium-low speed until well combined.
  4. Add the flour mixture, beating on low until just combined.
  5. Fold in chocolate chips. Portion into golf-ball-size dough balls, cover and refrigerate a minimum of 4 hours or up to 4 days.
  6. When ready to bake, preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line baking sheets with parchment paper. Evenly space dough balls on cookie sheet. Bake 11-12 minutes, until edges are set and middles are no longer raw or shiny. Do not overbake. Let cookies sit for 2-3 minutes then remove to a wire cooling rack to cool completely.

No comments:

Post a Comment