Wednesday, March 15, 2023

Nutella Hazelnut Chocolate Truffles from Sweetest Menu

Nutella Hazelnut Chocolate Truffles - made March 1, 2023 from Sweetest Menu
200 grams (1 1/3 cups) dark chocolate, finely chopped
1/2 cup heavy cream
1 cup Nutella
1 cup skinless hazelnuts, toasted and chopped fine
  1. Heat cream in small saucepan over low heat until hot but not boiling. Place chopped chocolate in medium bowl. Pour hot cream over chocolate, covering completely.
  2. After two minutes, slowly whisk until completely melted and smooth. Add 1/2 cup Nutella and whisk until combined and smooth. Add remaining 1/2 cup and repeat. 
  3. Chill in refrigerator for 2-3 hours or until set.
  4. Scoop small teaspoons of chilled mixture and roll into balls. Roll in chopped hazelnuts, coating completely. Store in refrigerator until ready to serve.
Truffles are technically easy to make. Heat cream, pour over chopped chocolate, whisk to smoothness, add any flavorings, chill, scoop and roll in coating if desired. Simple right?
And it was simple. I just don't know if I loved the end product. Truffles are essentially chilled ganache. I'm not a big fan of ganache, too chocolaty (I know, I know, blasphemy), too rich. I tried to stack the odds in my favor by making a nutella version of this but the chocolate overwhelmed the Nutella. I also rolled them in chopped toasted hazelnuts to cut the richness and add some texture and that partially worked. There was nothing wrong with these; they're simply too "dark chocolate flavor" for my taste. Next time, I'll make them as milk chocolate truffles instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment