Sunday, March 31, 2019

Flank Steak Marinade

Flank Steak Marinade - made March 16, 2019
I so enjoyed the bulgogi I made with flank steak that I was emboldened enough to try my own flank steak marinade.

Actually, it was mostly because I bought mirin to make a recipe I found on pinterest but after I bought the mirin, I couldn't find the recipe again. I thought I'd pinned it but I had pinned so many similar recipes that I couldn't find the exact one that prompted the mirin purchase. Most of the steak marinade recipes on my pinterest board called for lemon juice. I didn't have lemon juice and I stubbornly wanted to use mirin so I made up my own recipe.

I know enough about my taste buds to know which spices were "safe" for me to use. Meaning they would more than likely work well together and I like their flavors. Nothing exotic or too spicy. This is a basic mixture that you let the flank steak marinate in for a few hours then fry or grill.
I have to admit, this turned out well and I could understand the cook's love of just throwing stuff together to come up with tasty dishes. I don't think that'll ever come naturally to me as I have a baker's penchant for wanting things to be exact and measured but I did enjoy putting this together and - bonus - having it turn out.
1/2 cup soy sauce
1/3 cup brown sugar
1 tablespoon sesame oil
2 tablespoons mirin
1 teaspoon ginger
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 tablespoon minced garlic
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 pounds flank steak, cut into thick strips
  1. Combine marinade ingredients except for flank steak, stir well to combine. Add strips of flank steak, mixing to coat thoroughly in the marinade. Cover and let sit in the refrigerator for several hours or overnight.
  2. Heat a tablespoon of olive oil in large frying pan. Stir fry steak for several minutes until desired doneness. Serve warm.

No comments:

Post a Comment