Sunday, March 24, 2019

Restaurant Review: JX Cuisine

Restaurant Review: JX Cuisine - dinner on June 7, 2018
This is a long, long overdue restaurant review of a place less than a mile from my old house back in California. Or you can consider it a filler blog post as I haven't been baking much lately so I dug this out of the draft folder since I had the pictures anyway :).
Beef Chow Fun
Ironically, I first heard about JX Cuisine from work. One of our benefits is if you work late (past 7 pm), you're allowed to order dinner from waiter.com up to a $20 allowance, Monday through Thursday nights. It's been some months since I've left work before 7 pm so eating at work is typically my norm. Waiter.com rotates a number of local restaurants you can order from and they'll deliver to the office. Although the waiter.com menu comes out the Friday before with the next week's dinner offerings, typically you have until 4 pm the same night to order dinner in time, unless a particular restaurant sells out of their allocated dinners to the company.
Xiao Long Bao
JX Cuisine first hit my notice because the first time I tried to order from them on a Monday morning for a Thursday night dinner, they were already sold out. Huh? Sellouts aren't uncommon and usually signal a really good restaurant. Thwarted (and curious) what all the fuss was about, I met a friend there for dinner at the restaurant itself to see what the fuss was about.
Steamed Rice
The restaurant itself wasn't crowded on a weeknight for dinner and service was pretty prompt. The Xiao Long Bao were my favorites that night followed by the Orange Peel Beef. The Chow Fun was pretty typical of a Chinese restaurant; pretty tasty but not sure I'd go out of my way for it, especially since I hadn't realized it came with bean sprouts (I'm not a fan of bean sprouts). Overall, the food was good but I'm not sure I understand the early sellout every time JX Cuisine is an option on the waiter.com menu. My Chinese coworker explained they had a lot of specialty dishes that people really loved, especially those more familiar with "authentic" Chinese cuisine. Ah. Clearly my Westernized taste buds didn't pick those out of the menu, lol.
Orange Peel Beef

No comments:

Post a Comment