Sunday, July 9, 2017

Twix Nutella Skillet Cookie

Twix Nutella Skillet Cookie - made June 10, 2017, adapted from Kleinworth & Co
Whenever I go out to lunch with my parents and we order dessert, we usually get some form of pizookie – a warm chocolate chip cookie served with ice cream. My mom never fails to tell me “you should make this.”

Sprinkle with chopped Twix bars
I actually do make this but usually a one-dough-ball cookie baked in a tiny skillet with a dollop of ice cream – you know, dessert for one with that one being me. I don’t usually make it at dessert parties due to the timing logistics of putting them in the oven at the right time, having them come out at just the right time after everyone’s finished eating dinner and serving them at the right time. It’s bad manners to hover over your guests, prodding them with a spoon, anxious that they eat their warm pizookie offering before the ice cream melts. Or so I’m told.
Cover with Nutella

But they had some other family members over for a housewarming dinner and she wanted me to serve pizookies for dessert so I obliged. I had amassed three 6” cast iron skillets by now plus two 3.5” ones so I could go with 1-2 person desserts as well as make a couple of different flavors. Traditional chocolate chips for my cousin Elinor’s boys. Snickerdoodle for Vanilla King, my other nephew, who still breaks my heart by not liking chocolate (why???). There were 9 adults, 1 teenager and 2 tweens so I wasn’t sure my smaller skillets were going to be enough so I did make extra in an 8” skillet just in case. Which turned out to be a good call because this was a really good pizookie. I added my own pizzazz by adding a layer of Nutella and chopped-up chunks of Twix candy bars in the middle. And yes, that was a good call. This may be the new family gathering dessert from now on.
1 cup butter, room temperature
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup turbinado sugar
1 cup packed dark brown sugar
2 large eggs
2 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 tablespoons milk
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon cornstarch
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
3/4 cup chopped Twix bars
1/2 cup Nutella
2 teaspoons fleur de sel
  1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Lightly grease an 10" cast iron skillet or line with parchment paper.
  2. In a mixer bowl fitted with the paddle attachment, beat butter and sugars until smooth and creamy.
  3. Beat in eggs, vanilla and milk until well combined. Scrape down sides of bowl to keep even textured.
  4. Add flour, cornstarch, baking soda, and salt, mixing until just combined. Do not overmix.
  5. Fold in chocolate chips and caramel bits, if using.
  6. Smooth 1/2 the cookie dough into the prepared skillet. Sprinkle with chopped Twix, drop dollops of Nutella over the Twix and sprinkle with fleur de sel. Cover with the remaining cookie dough and smooth top.
  7. Bake for 27 to 30 minutes or until browned on the sides and lightly brown on top. Cool skillet cookie slightly before serving warm with vanilla ice cream,

No comments:

Post a Comment