Saturday, February 14, 2015

Coconut White Chocolate Butterscotch Blondies

Coconut White Chocolate Butterscotch Blondies - made February 7, 2015, adapted from Extreme Brownies by Connie Weiss (originally titled Bombin' Blondies)
Back with my one-track mind on trying out more brownie recipes from Extreme Brownies by Connie Weiss. I did make an effort to mix it up a little by going with a blondie recipe this time. Which then I had to modify to suit my tastes. I stuck to the main structure of the blondie’s foundations but instead of semisweet chocolate chips, I substituted white chocolate chips. And, because it pairs so well with anything brown sugar, I added butterscotch chips. The coconut I kept as is. Oh and I left off the chocolate drizzle. 
I don’t make blondies that often but when I do, I try to keep it purist. If the whole point of a blondie is to make a non-chocolate dessert, I don’t add (semisweet) chocolate chips or a chocolate drizzle. Otherwise I’d just make a regular chocolate fudge brownie.

In any case, my modifications worked pretty well. I loved the texture and brown sugar taste of the blondie bar itself. The coconut gives it additional texture and chewy moistness and the white chocolate and butterscotch chips complemented the blondie perfectly. Another fantastic recipe from Connie – this book is turning out to be a great investment and I’ve only made 4 recipes from it so far. Thumbing through it again for #5. Stay tuned.

3 sticks (12 ounces) unsalted butter, cut into tablespoons
2 1/2 cups plus 2 tablespoons (1 pound 5 ounces) light brown sugar, firmly packed
3 large eggs, cold
1 tablespoon plus 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 1/3 cups plus 2 tablespoons (15.5 ounces) bleached all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 3/4 teaspoons baking powder
3/4 cup (3 ounces) shredded sweetened coconut
3/4 cup butterscotch chips
1 cup white chocolate chips
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a 9 x 13 pan with foil and lightly spray with nonstick cooking spray.
  2. Place butter and brown sugar in a heavy 2-quart saucepan. Cook over the lowest setting until the sugar and butter dissolve, whisking to combine. Don't let the butter get too hot or it'll separate. Pour the sugar mixture into a large mixing bowl. Let cool for several minutes. 
  3. Whisk the eggs into the butter mixture, one at a time, whisking quickly after each addition. Stir in the vanilla extract; scrape down the sides of the bowl.
  4. Place the flour, salt and baking powder in a small mixing bowl; whisk together to combine. Add in thirds to the batter, stirring each addition until just combined. Do not overmix.
  5. Add the coconut, butterscotch chips and white chocolate chips into the batter and pour batter evenly into prepared pan, smoothing the top with a small metal spatula. Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes then lower the heat to 325 degrees and bake for an additional 18 minutes, until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Let cool completely before cutting and serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment