Lemon Bars that my extended family likes, I thought I'd try out these lemon cookie cups or tarts as its stand-in.
8 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
3 egg yolks
1/4 cup heavy cream
juice from 1 large lemon
1/4 cup granulated sugar
Confectioners' sugar for dusting over each tart
- Crust: Beat butter and granulated sugar until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes on high. Add the egg and mix on medium until fully incorporated. Add the flour, baking powder and salt and mix on medium just until combined; do not overmix. Wrap dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease a mini muffin tin with cooking spray.
- Make the lemon filling: whisk together the eggs, egg yolks, heavy cream, lemon juice and granulated sugar until smooth.
- Remove the cookie dough from the refrigerator. Divide the dough into quarters and divide each quarter into six even balls of dough. Press each ball of dough into a cavity of the muffin tin. Shape into a cup inside the tin, using your hands or a tart tamper. Pour the lemon filling into the center of each cookie cup, stopping just below the top of the crust.
- Bake until the filling is set and the crust begins to turn golden, 10-12 minutes. Do not overbake; pull the tarts out just when you see any golden color on the crusts. Allow to cool completely.
- Dust with confectioners' sugar right before serving.