Saturday, November 29, 2014

French Apple Cobbler

French Apple Cobbler - made November 22, 2014 from Puttin' on the Peach Tree, Junior League of Dekalb County, GA
I'm not entirely sure where I got this recipe or recipe book (booklet?) from. All I know is this recipe has been languishing along with dozens of others on my computer, waiting for me to forego pinterest and remember the good old days when I used to get my recipes from more traditional sources like cookbooks. Or random baking pamphlets.

I was in the mood for a warm apple cobbler topped with vanilla ice cream so I threw this together. I didn't go to all the trouble of the elaborate filling below. Instead, I sliced some apples and tossed them with cinnamon sugar. Mounded them into 3 small ramekins then dropped dollops of the batter over the filling and baked them.
This isn't a traditional cobbler like I've made before that had more of a streusel crumb topping. It's also not like a pie crust. Instead, it's more like a sweet biscuit dough, just a bit lighter in texture. I thought it was a trifle too sweet for me though. I also wasn't wild about the cobbler topping, aka biscuit dough. I'd prefer either a real pie crust or a crumb topping. Oh well, at least now I know. And I can move this file out of my "still need to make" folder.
Filling
5 cups tart apples, peeled and sliced
¾ cup sugar
2 tablespoons flour
½ teaspoon cinnamon
¼ teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
¼ cup water
1 tablespoon margarine, softened

Batter
½ cup flour, sifted
½ cup sugar
½ teaspoon baking powder
¼ teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons soft butter
1 egg, slightly beaten
  1. Filling: In a medium bowl, combine apples, sugar, flour, cinnamon, salt, vanilla and water.  Turn into a 9-inch square pan.  Dot apples with margarine.
  2. Batter: Combine all batter ingredients.  Beat with wooden spoon until smooth.  Drop batter in 9 portions on apples, spacing evenly.  Batter will spread during baking.  Bake 35 to 40 minutes at 375 degrees F or until apples are fork tender, and crust is golden brown.  Serve warm with ice cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment