Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Crispy (Oven) Fried Chicken

Crispy (Oven) Fried Chicken - made February 24, 2012 from rummaging in my freezer, fridge and pantry


Every once in awhile, I like to throw in a post on "real food" just to confuse people.  "But this is a baking blog" you might say.  Well, yeah, but there are occasions where I actually cook.  Just to break up the monotony of take out or microwaving meals.  This is a super simple recipe that I made up, mostly inspired by the fact that I wanted to use up the last of my buttermilk and since the panko crumbs on the banana fritters were so good, I thought they'd be good on oven-fried chicken too.  Many versions of this use crushed cornflakes but I didn't have cornflakes and I did have panko crumbs left over so it was a no-brainer to substitute.  It also had the added advantage that I didn't have to crush cornflakes into crumbs since panko crumbs are already..... well, crumbs.

Because it's cooking, I felt free to not measure like I do with baking so you'll have to bear with the loosy-goosy directions.  Thanks to the panko crumbs, these had a crispy coating without the mess and calories of frying.

Combine for the initial coating (makes enough for at least 4-6 pieces of chicken)

1 cup bread flour (you can also use all-purpose flour, I just used bread flour because I had some)
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1 teaspoon all-spice
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
(feel free to substitute in any other spices - I just used these because they were what I had)
Roll chicken pieces in flour mixture until evenly coated.  Dip in 1 cup of buttermilk in a shallow bowl.  In another shallow bowl, roll to coat in panko crumbs (use as much as needed to cover chicken completely). Place in shallow baking pan and bake in a 350 degree oven until done and outside is golden brown and crisp (30-40 minutes).

No comments:

Post a Comment