1 8-ounce package cream cheese, softened
3 cups sugar
6 large eggs
3 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup bourbon (can substitute milk)
2 1/4 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/2 cup fresh shredded coconut
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Grease and flour a tube pan or a Bundt pan.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat butter and cream cheese at medium speed with an electric mixer until creamy.
- Gradually add the sugar, beating at medium speed until light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, beating just until the yolk disappears.
- Sift together flour and salt; add half the flour mixture to the butter mixture.
- Add the bourbon (or milk) followed by the remaining flour mixture.
- Beat the batter at low speed just until blended. Stir in the vanilla and coconut.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and bake for 1 hour and 30-35 minutes or until toothpick inserted near center comes out clean.
- Remove cake from oven and cool in pan on wire rack for 10-15 minutes. Loosen cake from pan with spatula and invert onto wire rack. Let cool completely.