Sunday, October 14, 2012

Pumpkin Poppers

Pumpkin Poppers - made October 8, 2012 from Just The Little Things

This is one of those recipes I saw on pinterest where the picture alone just sucks me in and it gets pinned immediately so I don't lose sight of it and can make it when it's time.  And it's time.  This is very reminiscent of the Apple Cinnamon Bites I've made before that I thought were delicious.  Because anything dipped in melted butter and rolled in cinnamon sugar has some serious game.

This is super easy to throw together - you can mix it up while your oven is preheating and be ready to put the first batch in immediately after.  I skipped the ground cloves and allspice called for in the recipe as I don't like to have too many spices in my pumpkin baked goods; cinnamon and nutmeg are all I mostly prefer.  For the first batch, I only dipped the tops in the melted butter and rolled them in the cinnamon sugar mixture.  You can roll the whole thing but I prefer the coating in moderation.  This was really good, especially when eaten warm. It's like eating little pumpkin donut holes dusted with cinnamon sugar without the fuss of a yeasted dough and deep frying.

1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon allspice
1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3/4 cup pumpkin
1/2 cup milk
Coating
1 stick unsalted butter, melted (I used less, about 1/2 stick)

2/3 cup sugar
2 tablespoons cinnamon
  1. Preheat oven to 350 F and spray mini muffin tins with non-stick cooking spray.
  2. Combine flour, baking powder,salt, and spices in a bowl and whisk until combine.
  3. In another bowl, mix oil, brown sugar, egg, vanilla, pumpkin, and milk.  Pour in flour mixture and mix until just combined.  Fill mini muffin tins until almost full and bake 10-12 minutes. 
  4. Melt butter in small bowl.  Mix sugar and cinnamon in a separate small bowl.  After poppers have cooled for a few minutes, dip them in the butter and roll them in the sugar mixture.

No comments:

Post a Comment