Monday, January 24, 2022

Bakery Review - Duff Goldman Red Velvet Heart Cake

Bakery Review: Duff Goldman Red Velvet Heart Cake - received December 10, 2021 via Gold Belly
I'm back with another review of a product from Gold Belly, this time from Duff Goldman. Technically I didn't buy this for myself. It was given to me as a Christmas present from my old college roommate. But it was the red velvet heart cake and in the lead up to Valentine's Day, it seems like a good time to blog about it.
As with every single thing I've ever gotten from Gold Belly, this one arrived well packaged and in great condition. It came packed in dry ice, still chilled and well wrapped. I don't know if that's a condition for all sellers in order to sell through Gold Belly but I haven't ever received anything that wasn't well packaged or didn't arrive in the condition it was supposed to. The minor flaw was a bottom piece of the large red fondant heart broke off but that wasn't a big deal to me.

As for the cake itself, it's quite pretty and also perfect aesthetically as a Valentine's Day gift. As you can see, it's four layers of red velvet cake filled with buttercream then covered with a pink-tinted buttercream and adorned with red fondant hearts. Pretty, right? 

The flavor was also quite good, as I would expect from Duff Goldman. It was fluffy and moist. There was a little too much frosting for me and I don't eat fondant but I merely pushed the excess frosting and red fondant hearts aside and just ate the cake. Was this the best red velvet cake I've ever had? Well, no, but bear in mind I've eaten a LOT of red velvet cakes in my lifetime and I have very picky taste buds. For "the best", I still give the nod to Smith Island Baking Company. But this one from Duff was good and I'm grateful for my old roommate's thoughtfulness in giving me an opportunity to try a Duff Goldman cake (foodie bucket list item checked off).



No comments:

Post a Comment