Wednesday, June 30, 2021

M&M Chocolate Cookie Bars

We've been having a heat wave lately which always discourages me from turning my oven on to bake. Fortunately or unfortunately, I haven't been sleeping very well so I have a tendency to wake up around 3 or 4 am on most days. After a fruitless 30-60 minute attempt to fall back asleep, I give in to the inevitable and get up. Usually I get my workout(s) done while it's still cool and before I log in for work. 
This time around, I took advantage of the cool very-early-morning temps to bake these bars in preparation for the next care packages going out to deployed military service members for Soldiers Angels. Since I'm not particularly skilled in decorating baked goods, I rely (heavily) on themed M&Ms to add some color, particularly red, white and blue M&Ms to pick up on the 4th of July holiday.

This is a straightforward bar cookie, somewhat a cross between a blondie and a shortbread. It's not as moist as a regular blondie but also without the crisp buttery texture or flavor of a shortbread. So I'm a little conflicted whether I like these or not since it doesn't commit to being either a blondie or a shortbread. And I thought I had commitment issues.
Nevertheless, since I was baking them for military care packages, I guess it's not as critical that *I* like them as much as they're still tasty, can travel well and make it in decent shape to their destination to a desert climate. And I always tell myself they've got to be better than an MRE, right?
1/2 cup unsalted butter
1/4 cup granulated sugar
3/4 cup brown sugar, packed
1 large egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 3.5-ounce instant vanilla pudding mix
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup chocolate chips
3/4 cup M&Ms
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a 9 x 13" pan with foil and lightly spray with nonstick cooking spray; set aside.
  2. In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream butter for 30 seconds. Add granulated sugar and brown sugar; beat for 3 minutes, until light and fluffy.
  3. Add egg and vanilla extract; mix until incorporated.
  4. In a separate mixing bowl, whisk together flour, pudding mix, baking soda and salt. Add to butter mixture in two additions, mixing briefly after each addition until just combined. Fold in chocolate chips and M&Ms.
  5. Press dough into an even layer in the prepared pan. Garnish top with additional chocolate chips and M&Ms if desired. Bake for 22 - 25 minutes or until the top is golden brown. Remove from oven. Cool completely before cutting.

No comments:

Post a Comment