Thursday, December 6, 2018

Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies

Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies - made dough November 10, 2018 from Coco and Ash
I think I may have found my go-to recipe for oatmeal cookies. I'm not as indifferent to them as I am to peanut butter cookies but they don't light my fire like chocolate chip cookies, know what I mean?
Due to my friend Rick, who is inordinately fond of oatmeal chocolate chip cookies, I keep trying recipes in the hopes of finding the recipe. So I can be prepared the next time Rick reminds me "you haven't sent me oatmeal chocolate chip cookies in awhile." Subtlety not being Rick's long game, lol.

What's different about this recipe is the addition of vanilla pudding mix into the cookie dough. That adds to the chewiness and softness of the texture. It also helps with the moistness of the cookie.
As an added touch, I recommend portioning the dough into cookie dough balls, covering them with plastic wrap and letting them "age" in the refrigerator overnight. That chilling time will also let the oats absorb the moisture in the cookie dough for a more chewy texture. This has a good flavor, crisp edges and a nice chewy, moist interior. Sometimes oatmeal cookies can be dry or a bit too "hearty" but these had a nice chewy-soft texture without being too mushy or crumbly.
1 cup unsalted butter
3/4 cup granulated sugar
3/4 cup dark brown sugar
2 large eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
3 cups quick-cook oats
1 1/2 cups flour
1 3.4-ounce package instant vanilla pudding
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
2 cups chocolate chips
  1. In the bowl of a stand mixer, cream together butter, granulated sugar and brown sugar until combined. Add eggs, one at a time, and vanilla, mixing briefly between additions until just combined.
  2. Whisk together oats, flour, vanilla pudding, baking soda and salt. Add to butter mixture in three additions, mixing after each addition until just combined. Do not overbeat,
  3. Fold in chocolate chips. Portion dough into golf-ball-size balls, cover and chill or freeze for several hours or overnight.
  4. When ready to bake, preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line baking sheets with parchment paper and evenly space frozen dough balls. Bake for 10-11 minutes or until are golden and middles are no longer raw. Cool on baking sheet for five minutes then transfer cookies to wire rack to cool completely.


No comments:

Post a Comment