Saturday, December 23, 2017

Soft and Chewy Gingersnaps

Soft and Chewy Gingersnaps - made dough December 10, 2017, modified from Baker by Nature
The original recipe called for browning the butter, chilling to solid state, softening then mixing it to make the cookie dough. To be honest, I didn't have that kind of time. I needed to make cookie dough for the benefit for our local domestic violence shelter, I had to drop off the cookies on a Friday which meant I had to bake over 5-6 dozen cookies the night before and I was making cookie dough leading up to baking night. No time to mess with browned butter melting, chilling, mixing. I also didn't know if I would like orange flavor mixed with ginger and molasses (I have very simple taste buds) so I left out the zest in the original recipe as well.

Fortunately, these cookies turned out pretty well despite my simplifications. I do wonder if they would've been even better with browned butter but they were pretty good even without browning the butter so my rush job didn't hurt it. I also made a batch to bring into work and they went over really well. The kind of well where people stopped by my desk, stopped me in the hall and instant-messaged me that they liked it. That's my unofficial gauge of whether a recipe turned out.
I liked the Ginger Krinkles I posted earlier but surprisingly, I liked this one even better. I say surprisingly because I usually am not big on ginger molasses cookies. I know they're popular this time of year but I've never been a fan. Yet there was something about these cookies I really liked. Texture was good and so was the flavor. Not too spicy, not overly spiced and not heavy on the molasses. This might be another cookie that goes on the permanent holiday baking roster.
3/4 cup unsalted butter
3 cups all-purpose flour
2 1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup light brown sugar, packed
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 large eggs
1/4 cup mild molasses

Sugar coating: 1/2 cup granulated sugar

  1. In a large mixing bowl, whisk together flour, ginger, cinnamon, ground cloves, baking soda and salt; set aside.
  2. In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat butter until smooth, about 1 minute. Add in granulated sugar and brown sugar; continue beating until and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Beat in vanilla.
  3. Add eggs, one at a time, beating after each addition just until combined, scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed. Add the molasses and beat until combined. 
  4. Reduce mixer speed to low and gradually add in dry ingredients, beating until just combined. Portion into dough balls, cover and chill or freeze for several hours or overnight.
  5. When ready to bake, preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line baking sheets with parchment paper. 
  6. Roll frozen dough balls in granulated sugar, coating completely. Evenly space on parchment-lined baking sheets and bake cookies, one baking sheet at a time, for 9-10 minutes or until the cookies are puffed and lightly golden. Do not overbake. Cool on baking sheet for 10 minutes before removing to wire racks to cool completely.

No comments:

Post a Comment