1 cup granulated sugar
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon pure almond extract (I used vanilla extract)
2 large egg yolks
2 ¼ cups (9.9 ounces) bleached all-purpose flour
½ cup coarse or crystal sugar
1 large egg, beaten
1. In a heavy-duty mixer with the paddle attachment, cream the butter, sugar, salt and almond extract until light and creamy. Add the yolks, one at a time, and beat with each addition, just to blend in thoroughly.
2. On low speed, beat in the flour, scraping down the bowl twice. Divide the dough into 4 pieces. Roll each into a log about 1 ½ inches in diameter.
3. Sprinkle coarse sugar evenly on wax paper, the length of the rolls and about 4 inches wide. Brush a roll lightly with beaten egg, then roll in sugar to coat well. Repeat with each roll. Wrap each roll individually in plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 2 hours or overnight.
4. About 30 minutes before you are ready to bake, place a shelf in the center of the oven and preheat the oven to 375⁰F.
5. Cover a heavy baking sheet with parchment paper sprayed with nonstick cooking spray. Slice cookies into 3/8-inch slices and arrange about 1 inch apart on the sheet.
6. Place the baking sheet on the arranged shelf. Bake one sheet at a time until the edges just begin to brown, about 14 minutes. Allow to cool on the sheet for 2 minutes, and then remove to a cooling rack.