1 1-lb box light brown sugar
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup shortening
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
5 eggs, room temperature
1 cup milk
3 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 teaspoon maple flavoring
1 cup walnuts, optional
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees F.
- Grease and flour bundt pan or loaf pans.
- Cream butter and shortening. Add brown sugar and granulated sugar and mix well. Add eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each addition.
- Combine flour and baking powder in a separate bowl. Alternate adding flour mixture and milk to the creamed mixture.
- Add vanilla and maple flavoring; mix well. Add nuts, if using.
- Pour into prepared pans and bake 1 1/2 - 2 hours for bundt pan, less time for loaf pans. Cake is done when toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.