dessert shell pans, it'll be even easier. I got the original recipe from Half Baked Harvest but with my dessert shell pan, I went with the lazy baker's version of molten chocolate cake.
4 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
1/4 cup unsalted butter
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
3 large eggs
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1-2 teaspoons red food coloring
coconut whipped cream, whipped cream or ice cream, for serving (optional)
4 1/2 ounces (about 3/4 cup) semi-sweet chocolate chips
1/2 cup canned coconut milk or heavy cream
1/2 tablespoon vanilla extract
- Make the ganache: in a microwave safe bowl add the chocolate and coconut milk (or heavy cream). Microwave on high for 30 second intervals, stirring between each until melted. Once melted stir in the vanilla extract. Cover and place in the fridge.
- Grease 6 (4 ounce) ramekins or 4 (6 ounce ramekins) and place on a baking sheet.
- Heat the chocolate and butter together on low in a small saucepan, stirring until just melted. Remove from the heat and stir in the flour and salt until smooth.
- Add the eggs to a large mixing bowl. Using an electric mixer beat the eggs and slowly add the sugar until the eggs are pale in color, about four minutes. Add the vanilla extract and food coloring, mix until combined. Pour in the melted chocolate mixture and use a rubber spatula or wooden spoon to fold the chocolate into the eggs until just combined. Divide the mixture among the prepared ramekins.
- Spoon about 1-2 heaping teaspoons of the chilled ganache (you will not use it all) into the center of the ramekins. Use a spoon to scoop the red velvet mixture over the ganache. Cover the ramekins and place in the fridge for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. After 15 minutes remove ramekins from the fridge and place in the oven. Bake for 10-20 minutes (10 minutes for 4 ounce ramekins and 18 minutes for 6 ounce ramekins). Loosen the edges of the cakes with a butter knife and turn out onto plates. Serve immediately with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream.