Thursday, March 17, 2011

"Three-Chip" Chocolate Chip Cookies

Chocolate Chip Cookies - made March 16, 2011 from The Search for the Perfect Chocolate Chip Cookie by Gwen Steege (book #61)

Okay, I confess I only made this a one-type-of-chip cookie but I used almost 2 12-ounce bags to make up for it.  Sometimes you're just in the mood for a simple chocolate chip cookie without all the fancy.  Just need lots of (milk) chocolate chips.  If you prefer chocolate chunks instead of chocolate chips, try cutting up Hershey milk chocolate kisses and adding them to the dough.

I must've gotten this cookbook years ago when I was in my phase of trying to find a chocolate chip cookie recipe like Mrs. Fields that baked up thick, buttery and good.  Something closer to Mrs. Fields than Nestle Tollhouse.  I think I had a fair go at a number of the recipes in this book and none of them came close to Mrs. Fields but I found some perfectly good recipes in it nonetheless.  They mostly had the same basic ingredients: butter (don't ever use margarine), granulated sugar, brown sugar, eggs, vanilla and flour.  They differed mostly in proportions of ingredients used.  Some had add-ons like corn syrup, milk, dry pudding mix, chocolate shavings, shortening, etc.  My chocolate chip cookie conflict arose between the desire for a thick cookie that didn't spread much which would require shortening and the flavor that came from butter but that same butter also caused the spread into a thin cookie.

I elected to test out this recipe since it contained half butter/half shortening.  Much like the compromise for a flaky but flavorful pie crust: shortening gives crust its flakiness, butter give it its flavor.  I wanted to see if it would actually work, if it would have the buttery flavor while not spreading too much.  The dough was soft after I finished mixing it which was a bit worrisome but I froze the dough balls overnight to see how they would do once I baked them.  Don't forget to hold back some of the chocolate chips until you've scooped out most of the dough so you can make sure even the last few dough balls have a fair amount of chips in them.

I baked this using the convection setting on my oven so it didn't spread as much as it probably could have but still spread more than I would've liked.  I thought this cookie was okay as a basic chocolate chip cookie but it was nothing spectacular to make it stand out from the dozens upon dozens of other chocolate chip cookie recipes I've tried.  The Ultimate Soft and Chewy Chocolate Chunk cookie recipe I've blogged about before was better than this one.  Back to the drawing board.

2 ½ cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
½ cup butter, softened
½ cup shortening
½ cup granulated sugar
1 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
2 eggs
2 tablespoons light corn syrup
2 tablespoons water (I used milk)
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
12 ounces (2 cups) semisweet chocolate chips
8-ounce package white chocolate chips
2 3 ½-ounce packages Lindt Swiss Milk Chocolate
2 3-ounce Lindt Milk Chocolate bars, broken into squares

1.    Combine flour, baking soda, and salt and set aside.
2.    Cream together butter, shortening, sugars, eggs, corn syrup, water (or milk) and vanilla, and beat well.  Add dry ingredients to creamed mixture, and beat well.  With a large wooden spoon, gently stir in all the chocolate pieces.
3.    Chill dough at least one hour.
4.    With moistened hands, roll dough into walnut-sized pieces, and place on baking sheets lined with parchment paper.  Bake at 375⁰F for 10 to 12 minutes until very lightly browned.  Cool for about 2 minutes before removing from pans.

Yield: 3 to 4 dozen

No comments:

Post a Comment