Friday, August 12, 2016

"Perfect" Snickerdoodles

"Perfect" Snickerdoodles - made dough July 4, 2016 from Cookies and Cups
Along with the crème brulee, one of my guests also asked for snickerdoodles. Did I go with my tried and true recipe? Of course not! I wanted to try a new recipe so I did.

This was actually pretty good. I think I underbaked it just a tad too much though or else ate it too soon after I took it out of the oven as it was a little gummy in the middle. But if I had eaten it the next day, I think it would’ve been perfect because that slight gumminess would’ve been more like a moist cookie.

Snickerdoodles are easy to overbake and when you bake them too long, they’ll be cakey and dry then cakey and crunchy. I abhor dry and crunchy so I’m paranoid about overbaking and err on the side of underbaking. This stayed pretty thick and didn’t spread too much so that was another point in its favor. 
1 cup butter
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 egg plus 1 egg yolk
1 tablespoon vanilla
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon cream of tartar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
2 3/4 cups flour

Cinnamon Sugar
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 tablespoon cinnamon
  1. In bowl of a stand mixer, beat butter and both sugars until light and fluffy, 2-3 minutes. With mixer on medium speed, add egg, yolk and vanilla; beat for another minute, scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed.
  2. With mixer on medium low, mix in baking soda, cream of tartar, 1 teaspoon cinnamon and 1 cup flour. Turn mixer on low and add remaining flour. Mix until just combined. Do not overbeat.
  3.  Portion into golf-ball-size dough balls, cover and chill or freeze for several hours or overnight.
  4. When ready to bake, preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Line baking sheets with parchment paper.
  5. Combine 1/4 cup sugar and 1 tablespoon cinnamon in a small bowl. Roll dough balls in mixture and evenly space on baking sheets. Bake 10-12 minutes. Remove from oven, let set for several minutes then transfer cookies to wire racks to cool completely.

No comments:

Post a Comment