4 slices bacon, chopped (I used nitrite-free bacon from Trader Joe's)
3 green onions, sliced thinly
sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 tablespoon butter (or use a paleo-friendly oil/fat if you want these to be paleo appropriate)
- Place the sweet potatoes in a large saucepan. Add cold water to cover and bring to a boil; lower the heat and let simmer until the potatoes are fork tender, about 5 to 8 minutes.
- Fry the bacon in a skillet over medium-high heat until crispy. Set aside.
- Mash the potatoes in a large bowl. Shred and add the cooked bacon as well as the green onions and egg. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Form 4-6 patties with the sweet potato mixture.
- In a large skillet placed over medium-high heat, melt butter. Fry the potato cakes until the outsides are golden and the insides are heated through, about 4 minutes per side.