Monday, April 29, 2013

Lemon Coconut Bars

Lemon Coconut Bars - made April 20,2013 from My Baking Addiction

In case you haven't noticed, I'm going through a teeny, tiny lemon-coconut flavor combination obsession phase.  That would explain why I tried out yet another lemon bar recipe with coconut when I've stuck so long with my standby lemon bar recipe.  This one turned out okay.  The coconut I sprinkled over the lemon curd layer sank into the layer rather than staying on top which I expected so halfway through baking, I took it out and sprinkled more coconut on top to stay on top.  That worked but it still didn't come out as well as I had hoped.  This was more of a coconut lemon bar than a lemon bar with coconut.  I think I prefer the latter.  I also prefer Alice Medrich's crust and the method of baking the lemon bar with the pure lemon layer, glazing it with lemon royal icing and sprinkling toasted coconut on top.  The flavor was still good but the tartness of the lemon is more muted with the sweetness of the coconut.  I prefer more of a flavor contrast. 
Texture-wise, I always like the chewiness that coconut adds to any dessert so this was still good; it just isn't my favorite lemon bar recipe.  I know I sound like I'm damning by faint praise but remember I bake all the time and have a high bar.  My friends tell me my "okay" rating usually translates into a much higher-than-okay point on their food rating scales.  In fact, one of the people who partook of one of the Boston care packages rated this one her favorite amongst the three desserts in the package.  So it's all a matter of taste and preference. The nice thing about dessert?  There's no wrong answer.

1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
3/4 cup cold butter 
4 eggs
1 1/2 cups sugar
1/2 cup lemon juice
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 cup flaked coconut 
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line a 9 x 13 x 2 inch pan with foil and spray with non-stick cooking spray.
  2. In a bowl, combine flour and confectioners' sugar; cut in the butter until crumbly.
  3. Press into the bottom of baking pan. Bake at 350°F for 15 minutes.
  4. Meanwhile, in a mixing bowl, beat the eggs, sugar, lemon juice and baking powder until well mixed. Pour over crust; sprinkle coconut evenly over the top.
  5. Bake at 350°F for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown.
  6. Cool on a wire rack. Cut into bars.

2 comments:

  1. your recipes are amazing!! cant wait to try these bars ! def. soon !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Please let me know how they turn out and how you like them - would love to hear :).

      Delete