Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Carmelitas

Carmelitas - made October 5, 2012 from Lulu the Baker

As someone who likes caramel a lot, it's surprising I don't make carmelitas more often.  Maybe because I've already tried different recipes for them and think they're all good so I don't go searching for other ones to try out.  Maybe because they seem "too easy" to make and I need more of a challenge.  But whatever the case, they're a crowd pleaser and I needed some for a crowd so I tested out this recipe from Lulu the Baker.

It's a basic carmelita recipe.  I did have to gauge the caramels as I don't buy the squares anymore and instead buy the caramel bits for faster melting and so I don't have to spend time unwrapping all those squares.  I ended up using the full 11-ounce package of caramel bits with the 1/2 cup of heavy cream and that might've made a little too much caramel and one that was a little too liquidy.  It firmed up okay when it cooled though so it worked out.  This was pretty buttery and gooey when it was still slightly warm.  I recommend making sure you bake the bottom layer long enough and don't underbake the whole thing either.  It'll still taste good but you won't get a texture contrast of a somewhat crisp top layer if you take it out too soon and the top oatmeal layer will be just as gooey as the caramel and melt-y chocolate chips.  That's not necessarily a bad thing so bake according to your preference.

32 caramel squares, unwrapped
1/2 cup heavy cream
3/4 cup butter, melted
3/4 cup brown sugar, packed
1 cup flour
1 cup rolled oats
1 teaspoon baking soda
6 ounces semisweet chocolate chips
  1. Combine caramels and cream in a small saucepan over low heat. Stir until completely smooth; set aside. 
  2. In a separate bowl, combine melted butter, brown sugar, flour, oats, and baking soda. 
  3. Pat half of the oatmeal mixture into the bottom of an 8x8" pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes.
  4. Remove pan from oven and sprinkle chocolate chips over crust. Pour caramel mixture over chocolate chips. Crumble remaining oatmeal mixture over caramel. 
  5. Return to oven and bake an additional 15-20 minutes, until the edges are lightly browned. Remove from oven and cool completely before cutting.
What's cooking, love?

1 comment:

  1. Carmelitas are the best thing ever!!! I love all that gooey caramel sitting there waiting for me!

    ReplyDelete