Saturday, March 12, 2011

Red Velvet Sandwich Cookies

Red Velvet Sandwich Cookies - made March 10, 2011 from Big Mama's Home Kitchen


One of the things I've been participating in lately is linking up one of my posts to Sweets for a Saturday.  Just like with the Almond Butter & Nutella Swirl Cookies, this was one of the recipes I came upon that their original bloggers linked up.  It's fun to share something I've made and even more fun to see what other people have made and discover new blogs and new recipes.  There are an overwhelming number of goodies and I can't possibly try them all but one of the ones I did try was this recipe for Red Velvet Sandwich Cookies.  I love red velvet cake and one of my favorite cookies is the Red Velvet Cookies with Cream Cheese Frosting that I've made before.  The concept here is similar except these are sandwich cookies so the cream cheese is the filling rather than the frosting.  But the basic ingredients are the same.

The only thing I would change to the original directions is to add the red food coloring to the creamed butter mixture first or any time before you add the flour.  This is when your dough is most liquid and will more evenly distribute the red food coloring.  When you add after the flour, you have to beat a little more to get the food coloring mixed in and I'm not a fan of mixing a lot after the flour is already added since that has a tendency to develop the gluten in the flour and make the cookies tough.  As little handling as possible after the flour is added is key for tender cookies.  I added 2 teaspoons red food coloring before I was happy with the color of the batter.  I like my red velvet to be red, not some wussy pink or trying-but-not-quite-getting-there "dark rose".

Oh, wait,  I guess I changed two things from the recipe direction - the second one being that I made the dough balls first before chilling the dough but I do that with all cookie dough recipes.  It's usually much easier to make the dough balls before the dough is chilled and this way I can put the dough balls straight into the freezer until I want to bake them.  I used my small ice cream scoop to make the little dough balls for these since I wanted cutesy little sandwich cookies and I wasn't sure how much they would spread.

Overall, these cookies are pretty good.  Because of the sugar coating, they reminded me of snickerdoodles in a red velvet version.  I baked them for 9 minutes and thought they might still be a little underdone just based on appearance but once they had cooled and been sandwiched with the cream cheese filling, they were just right as the cookies were chewy, not cakey.  The sugar coating makes it a trifle sweet for me so I may try the next batch without rolling them in the granulated sugar and see how that turns out.  All in all, another keeper recipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment