Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Honey-Lime Marinated London Broil


Honey-Lime Marinated London Broil - made March 8, 2010 from The Most Decadent Diet Ever by Devin Alexander

This is probably one of the easiest recipes from Devin Alexander’s The Most Decadent Diet Ever which makes it just right for me. I took a few liberties with it though. First I didn’t have limes but had plenty of lemons so I substituted that ingredient. Second, I couldn’t find London broil at Trader Joe’s last weekend so I got NY tenderloin instead. Third, I don’t have a grill so I ended up pan-frying it. Overall, it was pretty flavorful. I’m ignorant about most cuts of meat other than instinctually recognizing that the more expensive it is, the more tender it’s likely to be. The tenderloin wasn’t as tender as the name would imply but it was fine. I didn’t feel like I was chewing leather or anything. The hard part for me when it comes to frying steaks is I don’t like them bloody rare but it’s hard to tell how done they are without cutting into them and letting all the juices run out. This ended up a bit more rare than I would like but that was okay since when I reheat it as leftovers, it cooks a bit more. The marinade gave it some nice flavor as well.

Next time I make this, I’m going to slice the beef into strips before hand, tenderize them with a few whacks of the meat mallet, then marinade them overnight. Then it’s more a matter of a quick stir fry.

¼ cup fresh lime juice
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon honey
2 tablespoons minced fresh garlic
1 teaspoon salt
1 ¼ pounds trimmed London broil (top round steak)

1. Whisk the lime juice, olive oil, and honey in a small bowl. Stir in the garlic and salt.
2. Place the steak in a large resealable plastic bag. Pour in the marinade. Seal the bag and rotate it so the steak is covered with the marinade. Place the bag in the refrigerator and marinate the steak for at least 6 hours or overnight, rotating it occasionally, if possible.
3. Preheat a grill to high.
4. Remove the steak from the marinade and place it on the grill. Grill for 4 to 6 minutes per side for medium-rare or until the desired doneness is reached. Place the steak on a plate or cutting board, cover loosely with foil and let stand for 10 minutes. Slice into thin slices against the grain and serve immediately or refrigerate the uncut steak in an airtight container and slice it just before serving.

Serves 4

1 comment:

  1. I have to share this with Grandpa. He is going to love this recipe.
    New follower from Savory Sunday.

    ReplyDelete