Wednesday, December 7, 2022

Soft Ginger Molasses Cookies from Pastry and Beyond

Soft Ginger Molasses Cookies - made November 20, 2022 from Pastry and Beyond
2 cups (280 grams) all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons ground ginger
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon cloves
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
2/3 cup (150 grams) unsalted butter, melted
3/4 cup (150 grams) granulated sugar
1 large egg
1/4 cup (60 grams) unsulphured molasses
  1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Line baking sheets with parchment paper.
  2. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, ginger, cinnamon, cloves, baking soda and baking powder.
  3. In a separate bowl, combine melted butter and sugar. Whisk to combine. Add egg and whisk to combine. Add molasses and whisk to combine.
  4. Add dry ingredients in two additions, stirring until just combined after each addition.
  5. Portion dough into balls and evenly space on baking sheets. Bake 8-9 minutes or until edges are set and middles no longer look raw. Let rest on baking sheets for 15 minutes then transfer to wire rack to cool completely.
It's that time of year when I attempt to make the flavors of the season. Since I'm not an eggnog person nor do I care for peppermint unless it's gum, I usually default to something along the lines of a ginger molasses cookie.
I'm not big on a strong molasses flavor but I don't mind the spices that go into a ginger molasses cookie (namely the ginger and cinnamon, I can take or leave cloves). To keep my care packages for Soldiers Angels somewhat in keeping with the season, I tried out this recipe from Pastry and Beyond.
I did a rookie mistake though and misread the directions to melt the butter. Instead, I beat it from solid form to incorporate with the sugars and into the dough. As you can see from the pictures, that mistake didn't seem to have done the cookies any harm and they turned out quite well: not too much spread. good chewy texture and a "warm" flavor without being too spicy.



No comments:

Post a Comment