Saturday, November 13, 2021

Bakery Review: Naughty Cake from Misha's Cupcakes

Naughty Cake from Misha's Cupcakes - ordered via Gold Belly on October 14, 2021 
A recent trend in decadent desserts is to throw a bunch of different things together into one dessert. Think of it as a sweet version of turducken only instead of a chicken, turkey and a duck mashing together, you've got multiple layers of different cake flavors filled and frosted into one cake with cookies and brownies decorating the outside. Thus you have the Naughty Cake from Misha's Cupcakes.
Or if you want to be more accurate, the description on Gold Belly is: This naughty 6-inch, 5-pound cake has layers of chocolatey brownie, a chocolate chip cookie layer, red velvet cake and Oreo cake, and it's topped with dark chocolate ganache and garnished with Oreo and chocolate chip cookies.
Whew. That's a lot of sweets in one dessert. So naturally, it caught my eye and me wanted the Precious. However, my inner Smeagol beat back Gollum for quite some time because this 4-layer, 6-inch cake costs $99. I can justify and rationalize almost anything to do with sweets and supporting a small business but even for me, that was a little too extra. 
So thank goodness for Gold Belly sales! They had a 1-day sale and this was $30 off. Okay, that brought it just within my price-rationalizing range of $69, shipped. Done.
One early word of warning though: don't order if you're allergic to styrofoam. As you can see from the pictures, that's what it comes packed in, not just dry ice. Which I found surprising as I didn't think vendors shipped perishables in styrofoam packing peanuts anymore. With dry ice packets and air packets, yes, but not styrofoam. I know people who are allergic to styrofoam so this gift wouldn't do for them. 



As for the cake itself, I have a mixed review. I liked three of the four layers. The one layer I didn't care for was the chocolate chip cookie layer. Unlike the other layers, it's meant to be like those chocolate chip cookie cakes some people are so fond of. Unfortunately, I'm not one of those people. Never have been. If I want a chocolate chip cookie, I'd rather have an actual cookie, not a cake version of it. So that layer didn't work for me. It was also a bit dry.

The other three layers, as proper cake layers, were absolutely fantastic. I can't pick a favorite as they were all good: perfect cakey texture, moist, good flavor. One of the layers was supposed to be a brownie layer but it was light and more like a chocolate cake. Either way, I still liked it.
The brownie garnishes on top of the cake were more like proper brownies with a dense fudgy texture. I also enjoyed those. The mini chocolate chip cookies garnished around and on top of the cake, not quite so much. Again a little dry.
Overall, I think I liked the concept of this cake more than the actual cake. Perhaps because I've become more of a purist and am not into multiple combinations of dessert or I prefer simpler baked goods but this kind of cake is a bit too much for me. I'm glad I tried it as now I know and it is an impressive cake to give and share with a crowd. I thought the 6-inch size would only serve a few but given the 4 layers of cake, you could probably share this with a good 8-10 of your friends or even more people.



2 comments:

  1. I wish it had a cheesecake layer - is that too much? Haha, looks divine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol, one more layer of anything would’ve probably killed me!

      Delete