Thursday, September 2, 2021

Outrageous Cookies and Cream Cookies

Outrageous Cookies and Cream Cookies - made August 3, 2021, recipe modified very slightly from Cookies and Cups 
1 cup butter, room temperature
3/4 cup light brown sugar
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 4.2-ounce instant Oreo pudding mix
2 eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 1/4 cups flour
1 cup white chocolate chips
1 1/2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
24 Double Stuff Oreos
  1. In a small bowl, whisk together four, baking soda and salt; set aside.
  2. In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream together butter, brown sugar and granulated sugar until well combined and creamy, 2-3 minutes. Add pudding mix and beat until combined.
  3. Add eggs, one at a time, then vanilla, mixing briefly after each addition.
  4. Add flour mixture in 2 additions, mixing until just combined after each addition. Fold in white chocolate chips and semisweet chocolate chips.
  5. Portion dough into golf-ball-size dough balls and flatten very slightly. Twist Oreos into halves very carefully. If any break, use those for the bottoms. If you have extra halves, reserve for placing on the top of the cookie. Place each dough ball on top of each Oreo half. Cover and chill or freeze for several hours or overnight.
  6. When ready to bake, preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line baking sheets with parchment paper and evenly space dough balls. Bake 10-12 minutes or until edges are set and middles no longer look raw. Remove from oven and immediately place another Oreo half in the center of each baked cookie. Press gently into the cookie to adhere and let the filling melt over the hot cookie. Remove to wire rack to cool completely.
This is another cookie idea that makes me wish I was more creative and that I could think of concepts like this myself. Sandwich an Oreo cookie with a cookies and cream cookie? How creative and brilliant is that? Hint: very. 
But I'm not one of those people who can be given a blank piece of paper and a pen and can create brilliance. My strength is more as an editor, not a writer. Meaning I can take something and modify it to make it better (to me) and work for me. Which is what I unintentionally did.
I say unintentionally because I did follow the directions exactly the first time. Pry apart the Oreos, place a cookie dough ball on top of one half and top it with the other half and bake. 
Exhibit A below of how that worked out for me.
Never mind, I picked off the broken baked Oreo half, topped it with a pristine half, took a bite then took a picture. Exhibits B and C below. Fecking delicious.




So with the next batch, I made a slight change and baked the cookies with just the bottom half. As soon as the cookies came out of the oven, I pressed the top half over them. Voila, pristine Oreo tops.
I do recommend using Oreo Double Stuff for these. I typically don't like Double Stuff because I'm more about the sandwich cookie than the filling but Double Stuff Oreos work better for this. When I used the original Oreos, the cookies tended to break apart more easily when I tried to pry the halves apart. I didn't have that issue with the Double Stuff Oreos and the cookie halves remained unbroken.

In any case, this was delicious. Brilliant concept and delicious.

No comments:

Post a Comment