Friday, August 28, 2020

Brown Sugar Bread

Brown Sugar Bread - made August 3, 2020 from Julie Blanner
I blinked and August is nearly gone. The time warp was helped in part because I went back to work 2 weeks ago and I've been running back on the hamster wheel ever since. I can't complain though as I negotiated to work Monday - Thursday and despite the fact that it just means I squeeze a full work week into 4 days instead of 5, it's really nice to have Fridays off to catch up on the rest of my life again. I wrote this post before I went back to work and now I need to spend the weekend catching up on the other posts I'm behind on.

I was trying to use up some milk so I made a half recipe of this (full recipe is listed as is below). A half recipe made 3 mini loaves and baked for 35 minutes in my oven. This is more accurately called a quick bread, similar to my favorite banana bread recipe, since it doesn't use yeast and relies on chemical leavening (baking powder) for the rise.

How long your quick bread takes to bake will depend on the size(s) of the pan(s) you use and your oven. My oven tends to run cool so I have to preheat to a higher temperature for a longer time before I get to the desired temp according to my $6 oven thermometer. Just use the toothpick test to test for doneness. In the case of quick breads, the toothpick should come out clean or with a few moist crumbs, just not raw batter.
The nice thing about this quick bread is it came easily and intact out of the mini loaf pan, always a good sign. It was good while warm as well. But I have to admit I'm not a big quick bread fan, except for banana bread. This was good while warm but not sure I'd put it in on the regular baking roster. Nothing wrong with it, just a personal (non) preference for quick breads.

2 cups brown sugar
4 cups all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
2 eggs
2 cups milk
2/3 cup vegetable oil
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly spray miniature loaf pans with nonstick cooking spray.
  2. In a medium mixing bowl, combine brown sugar, flour, baking powder and salt; set aside.
  3. In a large mixing bowl, beat eggs, milk and oil. 
  4. Gradually add dry ingredients to wet until just moist.
  5. Pour batter into prepared pans, filling to an inch below the rims. Sprinkle coarse sugar on top if desired. Bake 30-40 minutes or until toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.

4 comments:

  1. Averie Cooks has a wonderful Cherry Quick Bread (and a Cranberry Orange one, too!) that may be worth a try. I love quick breads when I am terribly busy at work but want to bake for everyone. I have two on all year round rotation - zucchini and a pumpkin!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks - late reply but as you probably already knew, yes :)

      Delete