Tuesday, July 21, 2020

Peanut Butter Nutella Swirl Cookies

Peanut Butter Nutella Swirl Cookies - made July 7, 2020 from Six Sisters Stuff
One of my favorite cookies (yes, the list is long) is Almond Butter Nutella Swirl Cookies. It's one of the cookies I love so much that I rarely make it or else I would eat the whole batch. No, I'm not kidding. I love the flavor, the texture and the decadent swirls of Nutella in each chubby cookie.

Considering how much I liked them, it's a little surprising that I haven't thought to do the whole swirly Nutella thing in peanut butter cookies before. I've swirled Nutella in chocolate chip cookies and sometimes substitute Nutella swirls for the chocolate chips. But I didn't think to do it in peanut butter cookies. Until now.

Credit for the combination and the recipe go to Six Sisters' Stuff. Credit for the updated look of the "crosshatches" using the pointed end of a meat mallet rather than criss-crossed fork tines goes to my friend Annie the Baker. I've rarely used my meat mallet for meat. But it's very familiar with peanut butter cookie dough.

For the most part, this worked really well. You never want to mix the Nutella into the cookie dough since you want distinct swirls of Nutella in each cookie. Making the crosshatch indentations can be a bit tricky as only the peanut butter cookie dough, not the Nutella, will carry an impression. The Nutella will simply stick. I dip the mallet in granulated sugar before making the indentations to keep the mess to a minimum while still achieving the indentations.

I say "for the most part" because, while this was a good cookie, I think I prefer my favorite peanut butter cookie recipe instead. So I'd probably make that recipe and swirl it with Nutella. Then I would have a peanut butter version along with the almond butter version that I like so much. Regardless, swirling Nutella in any flavor cookie can only be a good thing. Try it.


1/2 cup unsalted butter
3/4 cup smooth peanut butter
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
1 egg
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 cup Nutella
  1. In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream together the butter, granulated sugar and brown sugar until no butter lumps remain. Add peanut butter and cream until mixed.
  2. Add egg and vanilla extract; beat until just combined.
  3. Add flour, baking soda and salt, mixing until just combined; do not overmix.
  4. Warm up Nutella in a small bowl for 20 seconds in the microwave. Drizzle over cookie dough and swirl until marbled but not absorbed into dough. Portion into dough balls and lightly press with pointed side of a meat mallet or fork tines to make the cross hatches. Cover and chill or freeze for several hours or overnight.
  5. When ready to bake, preheat oven to 350 degrees F and line baking sheets with parchment paper. Evenly space cookies and bake 8-10 minutes or until cookies are set and middles no longer look raw. Transfer to wire racks and cool completely.


No comments:

Post a Comment