Wednesday, May 27, 2020

Cast Iron Flank Steak

Cast Iron Flank Steak - made April 21, 2020, adapted from Our Life Tastes Good
I think this is the first real-food recipe I've posted in awhile that didn't involve my Instant Pot. But I also love my cast iron skillet (Lodge pan, made in the USA).
In a perfect world, this would be easy to make. Marinate it first then sear the meat over high heat to lock the juices in, let rest, then cut and serve. But....this is me we're talking about. For some reason, I'm incapable of successfully searing meat. I know how to do it and I understand the concept. But I suck at it. I think it's because I've set off the smoke alarm too many times while cooking. So I'm always leery about searing the meat for too long and risking the smoke alarm outing my efforts. Which means I never sear the meat for long enough and I'll end up with somewhat browned outsides and a completely raw inside.
I'm not even talking "medium rare" or "rare". More like "raw". I'm Filipino. We don't do "raw". So I do what every non-cook does when the meat isn't cooking well. I cut the steak pieces smaller and cook them that way. Don't judge - it works! More or less. The marinade on this was pretty good although cumin is not my favorite flavor. If it's yours, then this is a great marinade. Especially if you know how to sear meat properly.
1/2 cup olive oil
3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
1 tablespoon garlic, minced
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 tablespoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1 tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
2 pounds flank steak, cut into strips if desired
  1. Combine marinade ingredients except for flank steak in small mixing bowl. Whisk to combine. 
  2. Place flank steak into gallon-size ziptop bag and pour marinade into bag. Zip to close tightly. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes and up to 8 hours.
  3. Heat 12-15" cast iron skillet over medium high heat. Remove flank steak from marinade and discard marinade. Place steak in hot skillet and sear for about 5 minutes or until a crust forms on one side. Using tongs, turn steak over. Sear on other side for another 5 minutes or until cooked to 120 degrees F. Remove from skillet and rest for 5-10 minutes. Slice thinly across grain before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment