Saturday, May 30, 2020

Bakery-Style Chocolate Chip Muffins

Bakery-Style Chocolate Chip Muffins - made May 6, 2020 from Little Sweet Baker
I don't have the talent to make really good muffins. You know the kind I'm talking about: crunchy muffin top, fluffy interior, good mouthfeel. And good flavor, of course. Unfortunately I don't remember that I don't possess this talent until after I've made muffins. Then it comes back to me.
Not that these muffins were bad, per se. But I have high standards for muffins and these didn't reach those heights. I mean, they were okay. But they didn't look as good as the one from the original blog (so make sure you click on the post title to take you there and you can see what I mean).
They're best fresh as the muffin top does have a little "crunch" (in a good muffin-top-ish way) but that top softens over time. Like in less than a day.
The insides weren't quite fluffy either and had a slightly dry mouthfeel. And I didn't overbake them, I swear. But if I stack them against an actual bakery muffin or a Costco muffin (I love those poppyseed Costco muffins), this didn't do it for me. User error? Maybe. I may have a heavy hand with muffin batter. This is a known issue. Which I'm sure I'll forget the next time I want to try a new muffin recipe.

2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted and cooled
1 cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs
1 cup buttemrilk
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups chocolate chips
  1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Line a 12-cup muffin tin with paper liners.
  2. In a large bowl, toss together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and chocolate chips. Set aside.
  3. In a medium bowl, whisk together the melted butter, eggs, buttermilk and vanilla. Slowly add to the dry ingredients. Gently fold together until just combined. Do not overmix.
  4. Divide the batter into the 12 muffin cups and bake for 5 minutes at 425 degrees F. Reduce the oven temperature to 375 degrees F and bake for another 12-15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the centers comes out clean. Do not overbake. Serve warm.

No comments:

Post a Comment