Tuesday, October 1, 2019

Arroz Caldo - Filipino rice porridge

Arroz Caldo - made September 14, 2019 from Pilipinas Recipes
If it seems like I've been cooking more, it's because I have. Although I prefer baking to cooking, I'm finding cooking isn't as hard as I once thought and while I will always prefer baking, I've been pleasantly surprised lately that what I've been cooking has actually turned out and hasn't been an onerous experience.
And by "turned out", I mean the dishes have tasted like they're supposed to taste. Not just good to eat but how other, more experienced cooks have made them. Case in point, this Arroz Caldo. Arroz Caldo is the Filipino version of savory rice porridge, flavored with ginger and saffron, often made with chicken and traditional arroz caldo includes a boiled egg in each serving. It's comfort food all the way in Filipino cuisine

The beauty of arroz caldo is, beyond how easy it is to make, is you can make it as thick or as soupy as you want. Just thin it with chicken broth if it gets too thick or boil it as bit longer if it's too soupy. It's all in your preference.
Boil the eggs separately and add the peeled, whole boiled egg when you serve the arroz caldo. I like to soft boil my eggs then add it to the pot once I've turned the heat off. Arroz Caldo can also be made with tripe but I don't care for tripe so I left it out and went with chunks of boneless, skinless chicken breast instead.
Saffron is freaking expensive but you only need a pinch or two for flavoring. I cut the ginger pieces rather large so they'd been easier to see (and fish out) so you don't eat the actual ginger. It's also there for flavoring.
Top with crispy garlic
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
3 garlic cloves, diced
1 1-inch piece of fresh ginger, peeled and diced
1 small onion or shallot, diced
pinch of saffron
1 pound of boneless skinless chicken thighs, cut into 1-inch pieces
1 cup jasmine rice
5-6 cups low-sodium chicken stock or water
2 tablespoons fish sauce or salt, to taste
2 tops of green onions, thinly sliced for garnish
2 small limes or calamansi
Soft-boiled whole eggs, shelled
  1. In a pot, saute garlic in oil over medium heat and cook until golden brown and crisp, about 2-3 minutes. Transfer garlic to plate lined with a paper towel to drain; set aside.
  2. Add ginger, onion and saffron to the pot and cook until translucent, about 3 minutes. Stir in the chicken and brown for 5-6 minutes.
  3. Add rice, chicken stock and fish sauce or salt.
  4. Cover and bring to a slight boil, them simmer over low heat. Simmer until the chicken and rice are cooked through, stirring frequently, about 25-35 minutes. Add more stock or water, depending on how thick you want the porridge. Add boiled eggs. 
  5. Serve in bowls and top with crispy fried garlic, and green onion with lime juice and fish sauce on the side.

No comments:

Post a Comment