Saturday, September 8, 2018

Mrs. Sigg's Snickerdoodles

Mrs. Sigg's Snickerdoodles - made dough August 11, 2018 from Taste and Tell
I don’t know who Mrs. Sigg is but her snickerdoodle recipe has been making the rounds on pinterest. I have several really good snickerdoodle recipes already but I’m willing to be captivated by a new one so I gave this a test drive.

And it drove quite well. I’m normally leery about cookie recipes that use shortening because, hi, butter snob checking in. But I’m willing to lower my nose-in-the-air a fraction when there’s both butter and shortening in there. The shortening prevents spread and adds a crispness and the butter gives it a better flavor while also keeping the cookie chewy. So Mrs. Sigg knew what she was doing.

I did modify the recipe to add a teaspoon of Penzey’s Vietnamese cinnamon to the cookie dough. That was a trick I learned from Sally’s Baking Addiction to add a little more snickerdoodly (yes, it’s a word, k?) flavor to the cookies. The dough was a little soft when I finished mixing and I chilled it for 30 minutes before portioning into cookie dough balls but I needn’t have worried as they didn’t spread much, thanks to the shortening.

I will also give props to the shortening for giving the edges an airy crispness to the texture while kudos to the butter for keeping the important middle portion soft and chewy. Overall I liked both the texture and flavor of this. And now I have another good snickerdoodle recipe to add to my arsenal.

1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup shortening
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
2 eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons cream of tartar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon

2 tablespoons granulated sugar
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
  1. Cream together butter, shortening and sugar. Add in eggs and vanilla. Stir in flour, cream of tartar, baking soda, salt and cinnamon until blended. Do not overmix. Chill, covered, in the refrigerator for 20-30 minutes.
  2. Portion dough into golf-ball-size dough balls and pat into thick discs. Cover and chill or refrigerate for several hours or overnight.
  3. When ready to bake, preheat oven to 400 degrees F and line baking sheets with parchment paper.
  4. Combine 2 tablespoons granulated sugar and 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon in a small bowl. Roll frozen dough discs in cinnamon-sugar mixture until completely coated. Evenly space on baking sheets and bake for 8 to 10 minutes or until just set at the edges. Do not overbake. Remove from heat, let set on baking sheets for 3-4 minutes then transfer cookies to wire racks to cool completely.

No comments:

Post a Comment