Wednesday, November 8, 2017

Dark Chocolate Cookies - Levain Bakery copycat #6

Copycat Levain Dark Chocolate Cookies - made dough October 15, 2017, modified from And They Cooked Happily Ever After
If my posts seem a little more spread out than usual, it's because they are. And if you check the dates of when I've made things, you'll notice that's also spread out more than usual. The reason why is I've been working a lot. I mean, a lot. Which leaves me little time and even less energy to bake. I also don't have much time to do a write up so I'll keep this brief. And I forgot to take more pictures so I only have these.
While technically another Levain Bakery copycat, it isn't quite like the real thing. You know how I feel about Levain's chocolate chocolate cookie. Or baked fudge in cookie form as I prefer to describe it. This was a good chocolate cookie, quite rich but had a soft-cakey-but-not-cakey texture rather than the baked-fudge texture. I baked them and packaged them into individual goodie bags to give out at a staff meeting I went to. They were quite well received. I love those little individual cookie bags (Michaels, 40-50% off with a coupon) and I still had my custom-printed stickers from last year so they were fun to package up and give away.
Make these into thick discs, not dough balls. They don't spread a lot and you want them to bake as an even thickness. And be warned, they are rich.
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup plus 2 tablespoons bread flour
1/2 cup cocoa powder
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
8 ounces semisweet chocolate, melted and warm
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, cold and cubed
1 1/4 cups sugar
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups chocolate chips
  1. In a medium bowl, sift together flours, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt; set aside.
  2. In a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream together butter and sugar on medium speed. Add eggs and vanilla; mix to combine. With the mixer running on low speed, slowly pour melted chocolate into mixture and mix until fully incorporated.
  3. Gradually add the dry ingredients in three additions, mixing on low speed until just combined. Do not overmix. Fold in chocolate chips.
  4. Portion dough into 1/2 cup dough balls and form each into a thick disc. Cover and freeze at least 1 hour.
  5. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line baking sheets with parchment paper. Evenly space 6 dough balls on each sheet. Bake for 18-24 minutes or until edges are set and middles no longer look raw. Cool on baking sheets for 5 minutes then transfer to wire rack to cool completely.

No comments:

Post a Comment