Tuesday, January 31, 2017

Steak and Bean Chili

Steak and Bean Chili - made January 4, 2017 from Penzey's recipe archive
There was a time when I didn't really care for chili. I always thought it would be too spicy for me, there was too much "stuff" in it and it just wasn't my thing. Then I think I was on some "diet" (4-letter word) and it was one of the permissible foods so I tried it and from then on, I don't know why I didn't eat it more often.
I'm not dieting anymore (more or less) but I still like chili. It's a great winter-time meal and relatively healthy. I found this recipe on Penzey's site again because I was trolling for a way to use up the spices I had. This one is a twist on traditional chili in that it uses beef sirloin cubes rather than ground beef. But the hearty aspect remains.

I really liked this version. Although I'm not a fan of green pepper or big chunky onion pieces so I would go easy on those. But otherwise, this made for an excellent dinner.
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
2 pounds beef sirloin, cut into 1-inch cubes
1 large onion, coarsely chopped
1 medium green pepper, chopped
1 15.5-ounce can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
1 15.5-ounce can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
1 15.5-ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
2 tablespoons regular chili powder
1-3 tablespoons ground cumin
2 28-ounce cans diced tomatoes, undrained
  1. In a large Dutch oven or stockpot, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add half of the beef and cook, stirring occasionally, until nicely browned. 
  2. Place the browned beef in a bowl and repeat with the rest of the beef. Add the onion and bell pepper to the pot and cook for 2-3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in the beans, chili powder, cumin and diced tomatoes.
  3. Cover and cook over medium heat for 10 minutes. Add the beef and cook, uncovered, until the beef is tender and heated through, about 5-8 minutes or longer if needed. Serve in large bowls with the toppings of your choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment