Averie Cooks and….I didn’t like it. I typically love, not just like, but love most of her recipes. There have been a handful where mine haven’t turned out as well as hers looked but most of them have been amazing. Unfortunately, not this time and I blame it all on lemon extract.
2 tablespoons light brown sugar, packed
1 large egg
1 tablespoon lemon extract (beware this is a lot of extract and what I didn't like about it - try cutting to 1 teaspoon)
2 tablespoons lemon zest
1/2 tablespoon honey
2 cups flour
2 teaspoons cornstarch
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 cup lemon chips, optional
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, combine butter, sugars, egg and lemon extract and beat on medium-high speed until creamed, light, fluffy and well combined, about 4 minutes.
- Add lemon zest and honey and beat until well combined, about 2 minutes.
- Add flour, cornstarch, salt, and baking soda. Add lemon juice. Beat until just combined.
- Using a large cookie scoop, portion into golf-ball-size dough balls, cover and chill or freeze for several hours or overnight.
- When ready to bake, preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line baking sheets with parchment paper and evenly space frozen dough balls on baking sheets. Bake for 10-12 minutes or until edges have setand middles no longer look raw. Do not overbake. Cool completely before serving.